UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie minion

Help with an Old FPGA

Hi! My name is Eduardo, I'm and Electronics engineering student and I've been messign around with an Spartan-3A development board in the school, however, I'm planning to get my

on stuff to do some personal projects. 

The thing is that I've managed to achieve some XC314A FPGAs, I will appreciate a lot your help, because I haven't found tools for their development.

I've read that It may be programmed with the help of XACT. Where to find it?

As an student I don't have a lot money so I was forced to buy those old FPGA, help me please!

Thanks.

Cheers for all.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Help with an Old FPGA

Trying to use the obsolete XC3000 family will likely be very frustrating and I would really recommend that you scrap these parts and choose a different family.  Since cost is the issue I would suggest any of the Spartan-3 devices.  Digilent has some low cost boards that work with the ISE Webpack that you should check out.

If you are really going to use these parts, you will need to get a copy of the XACT or XACTStep software and a PC running Windows 3.1.  I thought that there was a download available for legacy support of these devices, but the web page doesn't list the XC3000 as supported.

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/logic_design_prod/classics.htm

Your best bet may be an old University book that would include a student version on floppy disks.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Re: Help with an Old FPGA

Wow, now you need an antique computer with floppy drives running an antique OS...

Probably better to find that out before you buy parts.

My suggestion is to look for the promotional eval boards that come out when a

new part line is introduced.  These are often heavily subsidized and could end up costing

less than the actual price of the chips on the board.  I have some older ones on

my shelf like the NIOS development kit for $29.99 offered some time ago by NuHorizons.

Trying to work with XC3000 series parts seems like a losing battle.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos