UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie lyi6rn

Logic acceleration - 6SLX or 5VFX

Hello.
I'm looking for a device that can meet the requirements of development platform for the following designs:
- parallel computing design using small arithmetic cores, proportional to Khronos OpanCL or Nvidia Cuda multiprocessing architecture,
- design supporting fast floating-point arithmetic operations with user-defined accuracy.

There are two middle-range devices: Spartan-6 XC6SLX150T-3 and Virtex-5 XC5VFX70T-1, I have made my choice on.

But I'm not sure if this is correct to compare speed grades of different FPGA series.
Also despite of larger total number of slices in XC6SLX150T than in XC5VFX70T (23,038 against 11,200), I wonder if there is enough space in that PLDs to fit MicroBlaze soft processor and custom logic (I think I need embedded soft processor at early stage of development). Actually slice consists of 8 LUTs plus 8 flip-flops for Virtex-5 and 4 LUTs plus 8 flip-flops for Spartan-6 and are not considered as equivalent, hence the question arises: if Virtex-5 has more capacity than Spartan-6 due to its highest density?

I'm asking about those two devices, because I have found some development boards with them, such as AES-S6DEV-LX150T-G and HW-V5-ML507-UNI-G. I will be grateful if anyone can help with such a decision or suggest more satisfactory device possibly as component of a development board.

Sorry for bad English.

Ilya

0 Kudos