UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No configuration data from XCF32P

Hi, I am working on a custom board which includes a XCF32P PROM and a XC3SD3400A-DSP FPGA, the connection between theese two ICs is in Master Serial Mode as indicated in the document UG332 "Spartan-3 Generation Configuration User Guide", page 81, figure 3-2 (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xilinx.com%2Fsupport%2Fdocumentation%2Fuser_guides%2Fug332.pdf&ei=yWbmTpv2NOiGsALnzezHCw&usg=AFQjCNEDRlFqTbuFn9hZIGUoCZ3NmDX1TA). I have generated a .bit file from my VHDL design, then a .svf file, loaded it directly on the FPGA and that worked perfectly. Later on, using the same .bit file, I generated a .mcs file and then the .svf file; I loaded it on the PROM but, when I restart the board, the FPGA doesn't load the configuration file. Using an osciloscope I saw that, once the PROM is programmed and the board is reinitiated, the signals involved in the FPGA programming do the following (PROM's pin names first, FPGA's pin names in brackets):
nCE (DONE): Low
OE/nRESET (INIT_B): High
CLK (CCLK): Clocking at 658 kHz (2.04 us after INIT_B goes high)
D0 (DIN): Low (shows no data at any time)
I have generated two versions of the .mcs file, one allowing revisioning and another not allowing to, but seems to be no difference in the result.
Does anyone have a suggestion about what could be going on with the configuration data missing on D0?
Any piece of advice would be greatfully apreciated.
Best regards,
Federico
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: No configuration data from XCF32P

Later on, using the same .bit file, I generated a .mcs file and then the .svf file; I loaded it on the PROM but, when I restart the board, the FPGA doesn't load the configuration file.

Are you using iMPACT software to program the XCF32P?  What are the results of a VERIFY operation?

Have you checked power supplies on the board?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos

Re: No configuration data from XCF32P

Hi Bob, thanks for your prompt response. Following your suggestion of checking power supplies we realised that we have missed to include the parameter CONFIG VCCAUX= "3.3" ; in the UCF file, thanks for that. Also, we were using iMPACT to generate the MCS and SVF files, and Adept to program the PROM because we have a Digilent JTAG cable, and that was the problem. Your question about the result of the VERIFY operation pushed us to look for ideas about how to use iMPACT with a Digilent JTAG cable and we found out this plugin from Digilent http://digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,66,768&Prod=DIGILENT-PLUGIN , after plugin installation we were able to program the PROM and now it is working fine.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards

Federico

0 Kudos