Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdienyon
Observer
Observer

Programming SPI PROM with user data via JTAG

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a way to program an EEPROM with user data using a JTAG cable, by including it along the JTAG chain (along with my V4 FPGA and respective Platform Flash)

The target EEPROM is an ST M25P80. I have my data in Intel HEX format and I want to try and program the EEPROM using JTAG. I'm reading the ML505 user guide, and it seems to suggest that you can do this (section 33, page 35), but doesnt elaborate as to how its done. Also, most of the other documentation I've read seems to suggest programming a .bit file for an FPGA, where as I'm trying to program in my own data.

Can an EEPROM be placed along the JTAG chain with other Xilinx devices and how can i use Impact to program it?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
11 Replies
tdienyon
Observer
Observer

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
borisq
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi

check Add Data Files when you generate the spi programming file with iMPACT.

Boris.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
tdienyon
Observer
Observer

Hi Boris,

When I try creating the SPI prom with"Add Data Files" ticked, it requests for a .mem or .elf file. What format are these and how can I insert my file which is in Intel Hex format?

Also, do you know how to physically connect the JTAG to the SPI lines? Will iMPACT detect the device?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos

Did you find the answer to your problem?

I've been trying to get Xilinx to tell me how to do something similar for the ML505 (I simply want to know how to program the platform flash on the board) but can't seem to get it working. I convert my .bit file to a .mcs file, then try to use the JTAG cable to program one of the platform flash devices... but it doesn't seem to work properly. I think I have the switches on the board set properly but hey maybe not...

I'd love to hear how your problem turned out so that I can use that experience to help me figure out what's going on...

0 Kudos
tdienyon
Observer
Observer

No I havent found a solution yet. Something else cropped up so I havent had the time to look into this.

Anyone out there have any ideas on these issues??

Dan

0 Kudos
vishwanath
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Dan,

.mem and .elf are data files i mean to say software part of your project.if u need to download only software part of your project onto the flash you can go for adding .elf file.you can directly program hex file onto the flash. there are separate headers for JTAG as well as SPI connector and IMPACT does recognize the chain.

Regards,

Vishwanath

0 Kudos
vytautas
Explorer
Explorer

Hello.

I have yet read this discussion about SPI PROM and user data. What about possibility to store user data (but not in format like it's described in http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp694.pdf. I need to store .wav, .txt files) to SPI or other flash memory. Many projects are done using SystemACE, now I have board without CF reader, so that I need alternative solution. Mentioned files from SPI should be writen to DDR.

So, the question is how to store "my format" files into SPI?

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Vytautas
0 Kudos
vytautas
Explorer
Explorer

Hello.

Does anybody  know how to solve this (to store user data in any format)?

Thanks

Best Regards,
Vytautas
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

there are two switches that promgen can use either the -bd (which only allows elf or mem files) or -data_file which will allow any data format.  More details are under the promgen section in the command line tool users guide (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_1/devref.pdf)

In the GUI (11.x and newer software, 10.1 and earlier had a slightly different GUI) when you are running through the wizard, you will have an option on step 3 (if you can for the prom you selected) that says "Add Non-configuration Data Files".  Pull down the drop down box to select yes.  Then when you are adding the data file select the drop down box that has the file type (ELF/MEM by default) and select "All files".  This should be using the -data_file switch to load in data in any format.  

In 10.1 and earlier there should be a check box to add data files in the wizard.  Hopefully this clears up any confusion on this.

0 Kudos
richard29
Observer
Observer

I have a similar problem: My device does not have a flash card reader so I am more or less dependent of using the SPI

for my design. I am playing a little bit around with partial reconfiguration and I have two partial bitstreams for on the fly reconfiguration. My idea was to put these two partial bitstreams into SPI, read them initially into RAM when the processor powers up and the ICAP module then reads the bitstreams with the appropriate offset from RAM whenever a reconfiguration occurs. Sounds all a bit comlicated but I can't think of any better solution. Am I on the right track or might there be a problem with putting two bitstreams into the SPI?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
borisq
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

you can try -data_file option in PromGen command line.

Impact cannot detect the SPI, you must tell it.

the connection is like this.

download cable TDI - MOSI

cable TDO - MISO

TMS - CS

TCK - clock

refer to figure 2 of the following doc

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp951.pdf

Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos