UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor krclemens
Visitor

XC3000 Series FPGA

Jump to solution

Good Morning,

I have been searching for a compatible replacement for the XC3195-5 FPGA.

It can have more pins, be in a different package, and if need be, I could work with lower voltage.

I do need an industrial grade IC though.

Could anybody help? I've also attached the datasheet for the XC3000 Series FPGA

Thanks in advance,

Ken

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: XC3195 FPGA replacement

Jump to solution

I would suggest trying to port your design to one of the 5V-tolerant CPLD devices.  The CoolRunner XPLA3 XCR3000 family is 3.3V logic with 5V tolerant inputs.  The largest in this device family, the XCR3512XL, is roughly equivalent to the "logic density" of the XC3195 FPGA.  While the 'logic density' may be similar, the CPLD has 512 registers, a small fraction of the number of registers available in the XC3195.

You will want to convert your schematics to HDL code, either VHDL or Verilog.  Any asynchronous timing paths or logic will need to be re-implemented.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

I would suggest trying to port your design to one of the 5V-tolerant CPLD devices.  The CoolRunner XPLA3 XCR3000 family is 3.3V logic with 5V tolerant inputs.  The largest in this device family, the XCR3512XL, is roughly equivalent to the "logic density" of the XC3195 FPGA.  While the 'logic density' may be similar, the CPLD has 512 registers, a small fraction of the number of registers available in the XC3195.

You will want to convert your schematics to HDL code, either VHDL or Verilog.  Any asynchronous timing paths or logic will need to be re-implemented.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Re: XC3000 Series FPGA

Jump to solution

Which package were you working with?  Since there are no recent FPGA's smaller

than the 3195 as far as fabric LUT / flip-flop count, you really only need to look for

a part that has at least as many I/O's as you need.

Also you say it can work with lower voltage (all newer parts do), but what about I/O

voltages.  Do you need 5V logic tolerance on the I/O?  Newer parts are typically

not 5V tolerant.  The last ones I'm aware of are Spartan 2 (not 2e), but that is already

at end-of-life status.  You can still get them, but not for long, so unless this is a

temporary fix pending a total redesign I would not suggest it.

Depending on what you originally used the part for, you might also consider a large

CPLD instead of an FPGA.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Visitor krclemens
Visitor

Jump to solution

Good Morning Eteam00,

Thank you for your advice on the FPGA, I appreciate your help.

I researched both components and submitted the necessary requirements.

0 Kudos
Visitor krclemens
Visitor

Jump to solution

Good Morning Gabor,

The package I currently have is a PG175. I can work with other packages, as it's just a matter of making an adapter board.

We would definately need 5V tolerant inputs, and we would also need to build level shifters for the outputs.

I have been looking into the CPLD's. I think if we go ahead with the modification, that is what we will use.

Thanks again for your help.

Ken

0 Kudos
Newbie punithaj

Jump to solution

i am using XC3090A-7PG175 in one of my design, as this is absolute i want to know the alternate for the same.

0 Kudos
Newbie addermaster

Jump to solution

Please let me know if you got something about alternative, as I'am also intrested.

0 Kudos