UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

AXI DMA - What's happening?!

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've been trying to get a counter's values to the PS from a custom axi peripheral. When I run my design from the sdk however, I never hit a break point in my interrupt. So I decided to check things were working as expected - I did this piece by piece up to the dma controller.

I got the expected data feed from my FIFO when I just held the ready signal high. But now, the dma sends this ready signal low after a few samples and it does not come back on...

I send M_AXI_S2MM_awready, M_AXI_S2MM_bvalid and M_AXI_S2MM_wready high after a short time (and hold high).  You can see from the attached waveform image that there is no data on the output of the dma.

Can I simulate the dma without a PS element in the block design? I'm not clear what the awcache output signifies?

blockDesign.png
waveform.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: AXI DMA - What's happening?!

Jump to solution
solved by transferring the right amount of data out...!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

Have you searched the forums at all? This is discussed quite a bit.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Unfortunatley I can't open the IP Example Design for the dma which I think from what I've read would help! I am struggling to find answers to the specific questions I asked in the documentation and in the forums.

Could you point me to any threads - my searching for axi dma, dma simulation etc hasn't answered why my dma seems to switch off after a few bytes.

Regards 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

It seems the problem was with my AXI stream FIFO. It wasn't generating the last signal as I expected. I removed the fifo and connected my peripheral straight to the DMA and it seems to work.

The peripheral is a basic counter, that holds valid until the count hits a threshold, when the last is raised, then on the next cycle the valid is dropped and there is a delay before it all starts again.

It seems to work... I get interrupts and can validate the data in SDK when I am counting to 20 ish, and passing the count value as  32 bit data and transferring these. When I increase the count threshold - i.e there are more integers before the last signal is generated my software stalls in the interrupt handler - waiting for the idle bit in the S2MM_DMASR to be enabled. It seems that the DMA is always busy.

My question is, is there a data limit before the last signal should be triggered - and where is this defined? A DMA config option?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
Just to add DMAIntErr bit is high when the program stalls (i.e sat waiting for the idle bit to be enabled)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
solved by transferring the right amount of data out...!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hey Marc,

Sorry I missed this thread; but I'm glad you solved it.

Yeah, tlast must be asserted on or before the number of bytes configured in the length register.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos