cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Behavioral simulation of a signed(a)*signed(b) operation

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am working on 7000 serie FPGAs (Zedboard, Zc706..), I like proposing multiple implementation choices for my IPs: performance/resource optimization etc..

The multiplier object on these FPGA is named DSP48E1 and can perform A[25]xB[18] in one clock cycle at up to 600MHz.

The thing is, If I simulate something like (Vivado 2014.4):

process( clk )
begin
[...]
     if tvalid_i = '1' then
         tvalid_o <= '1';
         result <= std_logic_vector( signed(a32) * signed(b32));
    end if;
[...]

this produces the expected behaviour, for whatever input frequency and (apparently..) whatever data size.

Could Xilinx experts confirm in this case the behavior is wrong and we should only refer to a post-implementation simulation? Or am I missing something on the DSP48E1 spec

thank you

G.W.,
NIST - Time Frequency metrology
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Re: Behavioral simulation of a signed(a)*signed(b) operation

Jump to solution

For behavioral simulation, the simulator is not simulating DSP48E1 blocks.  It simply implements whatever you have coded in HDL.  However, once you synthesize and implement the design, the behavior should still match this simulation as long as you properly constrain timing and meet those constraints.  It will not be possible to run 600 MHz even at 18 by 25 bits unless you insert the appropriate number of pipeline stages in your HDL to use the internal registers of the DSP48E1.  The DSP48E1 runs considerably slower in non-pipelined (combinatorial) mode.

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Jump to solution

For behavioral simulation, the simulator is not simulating DSP48E1 blocks.  It simply implements whatever you have coded in HDL.  However, once you synthesize and implement the design, the behavior should still match this simulation as long as you properly constrain timing and meet those constraints.  It will not be possible to run 600 MHz even at 18 by 25 bits unless you insert the appropriate number of pipeline stages in your HDL to use the internal registers of the DSP48E1.  The DSP48E1 runs considerably slower in non-pipelined (combinatorial) mode.

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Jump to solution
RTL simulation is untimed so as you say, it would work for any data size and any frequency. You can make your clock period 1 picosecond and it would still work. You don't have to do post-implementation simulation but you have to implement and then time your design to see how fast it would run (or more usually, implement your design and check timing at a specific frequency you are interested to see if it would meet timing)
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.