cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

C++ and ISim

Is there a way I could talk to the simulator using PERL or C++?

Reason: The reason I want to do this is to create a simulation environment so that I could run some simulations before I implement the thing on the FPGA.

This requires to load memory as well as reading from the memory in the simulator.

Thanks!

Regards,
Kartik Thapar
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Anyone?

Regards,
Kartik Thapar
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Kartik,

Can you clarify your question? Are you looking for a way to automate your simulation runs or trying to directly drive the engine in some form like what you would do with PLI or VPI?

If it is a matter of just setting it up so you can run multiple runs you can easily do this by using the simulator commands vlogcomp, vhpcomp, fuse, etc..

If it is a request for PLI support, unfortunately ISim does not support PLI or VPI today although it is on the roadmap.

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll give you an example of what I am trying to do.

I am writing contents of a file from the PC to the RAM on the FPGA.

This includes a perl module which calls a C++ executable and talks to the FPGA on board.

I wish to eliminate the FPGA part and mirror the process on a simulator.

Do you get my point?

Thanks! :)

Regards,
Kartik Thapar
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Anyone?

Regards,
Kartik Thapar
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

First of all apologies for missing your response. Must have slipped through the cracks.

I think I understand what you are looking for and it looks like this is a PLI/VPI type of call. Can you open a case with this issue and have your Field Apps Engineer involved.  The reason being that we dont have a true PLI/VPI support although we have something in a lighter form that may work out here.

Thanks
Duth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thanks for the reply.

QUOTE: Can you open a case with this issue and have your Field Apps Engineer involved.

How do I do that? :)

Apologies as I don't understand that.

Thank you

Regards,
Kartik Thapar
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hello,

I started using iSim and have been relatively happy with it.  We want to migrate some of our Modelsim projects to iSim, but iSim still doesn't support the verilog standard VPI.  When will this be in iSim?  I know it's on the roadmap, but not date has been announced.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

You could always give Icarus Verilog (http://iverilog.icarus.com/) a try.  This is a freeware Verilog simulator that seems to have the feature that you need.

0 Kudos