Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

ComMsgMgrException: type error near %s

Jump to solution

I am using the block memory genrator to instiate a block ram in my design and when i attempt to simulate the design i get the following error:

ComMsgMgrException: type error near %s ; expected type %s: Invalid c_string in format.

ERROR: [VRFC 10-1472] type error near %s ; expected type %s

This error mentions nothing about the block ram generator or my code, but I know it is related to the block ram generator because when i remove the block ram from my code this error goes away. 

I am not realy sure how to get around this. I have tried regenerating the output product for this block ram and even removed it from the project and put it back agian. I cannot find anything on the internet with this same error message.... 

Anyone else seen this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Hi,

Follow the steps below.

1. Set the "target language" to VHDL in project settings.
2. Right click on the IP and do "reset output products" followed by "generate output products". This will generate the template in vhdl language.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Teacher
Teacher
which simulator are you using? Also how are you instantiating the generated block ram? Did you use the instantiation template generated exactly?
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thanks for the reply

I am using ISIM or the default vivado simulator... not sure if that is called ISIM anymore.

My instantiation is shown below:

blk_mem_gen_0_inst : ENTITY work.blk_mem_gen_0
PORT map(
--
clka => clka,
ena => ena,
wea => wea,
addra => addra,
dina => dina,
douta => douta,

--
clkb => clka,
enb => 1,
web => 0,
addrb => Data_I,
dinb => dummy,
doutb => data_out_sig
);

I didn't get this instantiation from a template rather created it myself base on the toplevel "blk_mem_gen_0.vhd" in vivado.

In ISE there was feature that would create a instaition template for you but it seems this is missing in vivado... If there is a way to autogenerate and instatiion template in vivado i would like to know about it.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
coregen gives you a instantiation template when you create the ip. It usually has an extension .veo. Checkout the directory where you put the IP.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

You can find generated "Instantiation Template" under IP Source. Refer below snapshot:

Capture.PNG

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

ahh.

that is good to know but the instaition template is in verilog and i am using vhdl. I tried punching around to find out how to change the instiation template to vhdl, but cant seem to find that...?

My project is set to use VHDL, but it still is instiationing the template in verilog?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Hi,

Follow the steps below.

1. Set the "target language" to VHDL in project settings.
2. Right click on the IP and do "reset output products" followed by "generate output products". This will generate the template in vhdl language.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thanks

This seemed to solve the problem once i used this instation template.

Thanks All!

0 Kudos