UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer eskull@0
Observer

Compile Vendor Libraries Error

Hello,

Running Vivado 2018.2 (64bit) on Windows 10 64 bit OS. I am logged in to computer as "Authenticated User". 

I have created an simple project by instantiating the PCI/XDMA IP in a dummy block diagram, then customizing it as needed specifically for our board.  Then I right-clicked on that block and generated “example design”.

I shared this design project with a co-worker who successfully opened the project (same Vivado version), created the Xilinx Vendor libraries (for Modelsim) and ran the simulation - sim appears to have executed correctly. This co-worker has a Win7 PC (in contrast to my Win 10). 

Meanwhile, I attempted to create the same vendor library compile on my Vivado (with the above project active, exactly as co-worker did). The compile appears to complete but there are the following error messages :

VendorLibCompile_ErrorPNG.PNG

Opening the referenced file, cxl_error.log, shows the following detail:

** Error: C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.2/data/ip/xilinx/ldpc_v2_0/hdl/ldpc_v2_0_rfs.sv(64): in protected region

** Error: C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.2/data/ip/xilinx/ldpc_v2_0/hdl/ldpc_v2_0_rfs.sv(64): in protected region

The Compile Vendor Lib settings window was set up as follows: 

VendorLibCompile_Settings.PNG

Can anyone provide a solution to this error ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Compile Vendor Libraries Error

Hi eskull@0

Do you use supported Model Sim Version ?

Also, would you share your Model Sim version ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Observer eskull@0
Observer

Sorry, oversight - Modelsim DX Plus, version is 2019.1, 64bit. 

Thx.

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi eskull@0

Unfortunetly, Vivado 2018.2 doesn't support your Model Sim Version.

Would you change ModelSim Version ?

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68324.html

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Observer eskull@0
Observer

Will look into that, thanks for pointing out. I just emailed version question to the Modelsim rep working with us; will see what he says. 

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Observer eskull@0
Observer

MentorG support hasen't responded yet re. compatibility issue noted above. I downloaded and installed Modelsim 10.6c and then re-ran the Compile Sim Libs with following settings:

VendorLibCompile_Settings2.PNG

Note the selection in Simulator executable path - .../modelsim_dlx64_10.6c.

However, it appears Vivado is looking somewhere else for this path since it still insists on building using the modelsim_dlx64_2019:

WARNING: [Vivado 12-5495] Detected incompatible modelsim simulator installation version '2019.1'! The supported simulator version for the current Vivado release is '10.6c'.

If I let the compile finish, the same 3 errors that I posted originally occurred (no surprise...).

Can anyone tell me where it is Vivado is getting this simulator path? 

I noticed in the modelsim.ini file that is currently in the project folder for this project I'm trying to set up with Modelsim, there is a "variable"  $MODEL_TECH used thru out the ini file for any path involving modelsim. I cannot find this listed in my system environment var. The Modelsim documentation states the following for this variable:

MODEL_TECH
Do not set this variable. The toolset automatically sets the MODEL_TECH environment
variable to the directory in which the binary executable resides.

Is Vivado being steered somehow by this variable? 

Regardless, could really use some direction here on how to get Vivado to reference 10.6c instead of 2019.1. 

And, yes, i have both modelsims installed, each in its own folder off of C:\.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Observer eskull@0
Observer

Tried one other thing to correct the Modelsim version; removed the modelsim.ini file in,

C:\Users\7834261\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado

Re-ran compile and still Vivado ignors my setting to use 10.6c, and instead runs with 2019.1. 

Still searching...

0 Kudos
Observer eskull@0
Observer

Finally noticed in Settings - Simulator - 3rd Party Simulators, there is a setting for the simulator.  This was still pointing to the 2019.1 Modelsim. Changed to 10.6c and re-ran compile libs. This time the compile used 10.6c. 

However, the end result was the same as before:

ERROR: [Vivado 12-5603] compile_simlib failed to compile for modelsim with error in 1 library (cxl_error.log)
compile_simlib: Time (s): cpu = 00:02:36 ; elapsed = 00:36:07 . Memory (MB): peak = 1348.969 ; gain = 356.668
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'compile_simlib' failed due to earlier errors.

C:\Users\7834261\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado\cxl_error.log shows:

So the incompatible Modelsim doesn't appear to have been an issue here.

I compiled without setting the 32 bit option. Is this correct in general (Win10 64 OS, Vivado 2018.2 64 bit, Modelsim 10.6c 64bit)?

I've run out of ideas. Anyone ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

HI eskull@0,

Can you try compiling simulation libraries from Vivado TCL shell rather than using GUI ?

0 Kudos
Observer eskull@0
Observer

A bit more searching came across following,

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/compile-simlibs-fails-for-library-ldpc-v2-0-1/m-p/915146

which had following response:

Re: compile_simlibs fails for library 'ldpc_v2_0_1'

It's a known issue that compile_simlib fails for this specific IP library in 32-bit mode. It's under investigation.

If your design doesn't use this IP, please ignore the error for now.

Note the reference to 32 bit mode, which I didn't use. So, is the problem not specific to 32 bit mode? 

Is there a solution yet (above post was ~3 months ago)?

0 Kudos
Observer eskull@0
Observer

HI,

Thank you for the response. 

I posted awhile ago a new finding that corrected the issue with path to incorrect Modelsim but that post is not here(???).

The short of it, in the Vivado project settings there is a setup tab for 3rd party tools. Once I edited that to point to the 10.6c Modelsim, the library compile proceeded with that version. However, the outcome was the same as far as the failed library. I just posted a follow-up below where this is discussed on another forum post...

0 Kudos

Hi eskull@0,

It might have happened due to the post would have got blocked as spam due to which it might not have been shown here.

The other forum thread which you have pointed is mainly when trying to compile 32-bit libraries.

As you are facing protected region errors while compiling simulation libraries so, I had requested you to try compiling simulation libraries from Vivado TCL shell rather than using GUI. Please try and let us know the outcome.

0 Kudos
Observer eskull@0
Observer

HI,

Thank you for the reply. 

I copied the TCL command line from the Vivado Compile Sim Libs GUI, into the TCL cmd window and let it run. It took  over 30 min to complete - over 340 folders were created in the sim lib target folder, with over 3400 files created - does this sound correct? 

I've attached the compile log file so you can see what happened. 

I then copied the new modelsim.ini file created in the lib folder, over to the project folder.

Then started the simulation - MSim started and the simulation appears reasonable. 

One other question re. the Xilinx smi lib build. A co-worker with same 2018.2 Vivado, built his Xilinx sim libs the same way I did but via his GUI (not via cmd line). He used 32 bit mode to build (I used 64 bit mode). His build completed in <6min and only the following few folders was created:

Manoj_VendorLib_Sim_Folder.PNG

whereas, my build had hundreds more folders. He ran the following cmd (via gui):

compile_simlib -simulator modelsim -simulator_exec_path {C:/MentorGraphics/modelsim_dlx64_10.6c/win64pe} -family all -language all -library all -dir {C:/MentorGraphics/modelsim_dlx64_10.6c/XilinxLibs} -32bit  -force –verbose

I used (via TCL cmd window), mapping to project folder for now...

compile_simlib -simulator modelsim -simulator_exec_path {C:/modelsim_dlx64_10.6c/win64pe} -family kintex7 -family virtex7 -family zynq -family kintexu -family kintexuplus -family virtexu -family virtexuplus -family zynquplus -language all -library all -dir {C:/Users/784362/Xilinx_Projects/Example_Project-BFFT/Example_Project-BFFT.cache/compile_simlib/modelsim} -force -verbose

I don't see any substantive difference that should cause such a huge difference in output. 

He is  using a node-locked Vivado lic, I'm using a floating Vivado lic. 

Which result is (more) correct, mine or his?

BTW: His sim result appears to be same as mine for this simple test case (Vivado Example Project BFFT), comparing waveform window outputs. 

0 Kudos
Observer eskull@0
Observer

Why was my detailed reply to your recommendation spammed ???  

0 Kudos