cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Compile not starting when switching simsets

Jump to solution

viv 2014.4, linux

I have a project that has two simsets.  One simset simulated OK (normal_sim).  Recently I switched to the other simset (sim_alt) and got this error out the tcl console when starting the sim:

expected boolean value but got ""

while executing

"if { $b_no_sort || $nosort_param || ({DisplayOnly} == $src_mgt_mode) || ({None} == $src_mgmt_mode) } {

puts $fh_vlog "\n# do not sort compile o..."

(procedure "usf_xsim_write_compile_script" line 79)

invoked from within

"usf_xsim_write_compile_script scr_filename"

(procedure "tclapp::xilinx::xsim::compile" line 10)

invoked from within

"tclapp:: xilinx::xsim::compile {  -simset sim_alt -mode behavioral -run_dir {bla bla bla} -int_os_typ..."

I returned to the normal_sim and ran it and looked at the tcl console.  I was able to take the commands of the compile and execute them:

xvlog -m64 -prj <projectname>_sim_vlog.prj

Something is jammed in the GUI

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Sravanthi,

I fixed this problem: I found the sim.tcl file in somebodys install of 2015.3 and discovered the change you guys made.  I made these changes to the sim.tcl file in 2014.4.  Through more experimenting I discovered that viv caches this file and you have to close the project then open it again for the changes to get sucked in.  Sure enough this fixed the problem.  The simulation is working now.

Thanks for the hints!

CFG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @crazy_fpga_guy

Try recreating the project and the simsets. Looks like intermittent.

Always use the latest version of Vivado (2016.3)for best results.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Try recreating the project and the simsets.

I tried recreating the simset with a different name,  added the testbench.

I get the same error using attempting to simulate the new simset

Looks like intermittent.

?????

Always use the latest version of Vivado (2016.3)for best results.

My guess using a new viv would not fix the issue, this has all the hallmarks of some state file being polluted.

Also, I dont set the version of viv, my customer does

New question:

Can you tell me where this command is coming from, what is putting this out?

maybe I can do some investigating...

tclapp:: xilinx::xsim::compile {  -simset sim_alt -mode behavioral -run_dir {bla bla bla} -int_os_typ...

CFG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@crazy_fpga_guy

This is a known issue with compile script for XSIM and is fixed in Vivado 2015.3. Can you try in latest version Vivado 2016.3 and let us know if you are still facing any issues?

Regards,

Sravanthi

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sravanthi,

Thanks for getting back to me!  Unfortunately, I cannot change the viv version until I do  "release" of the design.. Also, I dont have access to the new version, nor can I actually install it.  What did they fix in the script?  I actually found the offending code here:

/opt/xilinx/vivado/2014.4/data/xilinxtclstore/tclapp/xilinx/xsim/sim.tcl.

Looks like this test is causing the issue:

if { $b_no_sort || $nosort_param || ({DisplayOnly} == $src_mgt_mode) || ({None} == $src_mgmt_mode) }

this is checking if nosort is set for the verilog sources.

I tried editing this script to put print messages in it, but apparently viv must be caching it, the changes I make to the file do not take effect when I do a sim.

Do you know what they fixed in the new versions of viv?  , is there an AR for this fix?  I dont mind porting the fixes back, I just have to get this sim running!

CFG

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Sravanthi,

I fixed this problem: I found the sim.tcl file in somebodys install of 2015.3 and discovered the change you guys made.  I made these changes to the sim.tcl file in 2014.4.  Through more experimenting I discovered that viv caches this file and you have to close the project then open it again for the changes to get sucked in.  Sure enough this fixed the problem.  The simulation is working now.

Thanks for the hints!

CFG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos