UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Compiling HDL simulation libraries not completing

Jump to solution

Good day guys,

I was trying to simulate code I've written in Modelsim SE 6.5b. The code contains an ICAP core, so I had to include the UNISIM library. While trying to simulate, Modelsim complained that it cannot find UNISIM library. It was recommended elsewhere on this forum that I should recompile the simulation libraries, which I did. Or, tried to do. It compiles to the microblaze_v8_10_a library and then never finishes. No error is given and it looks like the library is still compiling. Everywhere I read it states that the compilation can take a significant amount of time to complete, but I've left it for a couple of days, but it doesn't even continue to a new library. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? I'm using ISE13.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Compiling HDL simulation libraries not completing

Jump to solution

Firstly, the supported Modelsim SE simulator with ISE 13.1 is 6.6d or above. We would always recommend customers to use the latest simulator with our tool. You can refer to page 108 of Synthesis and Simulation Guide for this.

Also, you can try one thing. When you are trying to use compxlib GUI. Try selecting only the libraries which you want to compile. EDK libraries usually take a considerably high amount of time. You could find this option in the Select Simulation Libraries window. Uncheck All Libraries and select UNISIM, XILINXCorelib and SIMPRIM (if you dont need EDK). Also, to reduce runtime you can uncheck FPGA devices which are not required in the Select Device Families tab.

Alternetly, you can use the switch -lib in compxlib command line option. Refer to command line user guide.

Regards,

Debraj

Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Firstly, the supported Modelsim SE simulator with ISE 13.1 is 6.6d or above. We would always recommend customers to use the latest simulator with our tool. You can refer to page 108 of Synthesis and Simulation Guide for this.

Also, you can try one thing. When you are trying to use compxlib GUI. Try selecting only the libraries which you want to compile. EDK libraries usually take a considerably high amount of time. You could find this option in the Select Simulation Libraries window. Uncheck All Libraries and select UNISIM, XILINXCorelib and SIMPRIM (if you dont need EDK). Also, to reduce runtime you can uncheck FPGA devices which are not required in the Select Device Families tab.

Alternetly, you can use the switch -lib in compxlib command line option. Refer to command line user guide.

Regards,

Debraj

Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Thank you very much Debraj. The compilation completed. However, it seems like I'm unable to simulate the ICAP in any case, so my simulation didn't work as expected.
0 Kudos