UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer centercitybill
Observer

ERROR: [Simulator 45-7] No such file 'C:/Users/kirscwm1/Documents/My' in the design.

Jump to solution

I am getting the error posted in the subject line. I am using Vivado 2017.3, Windows 7. There is nothing in the simulation.log file to help find the source of the error. 

Below are the messages I get in the Tcl console. I saw one post with a similar problem, but they were running vivado in Xilinx. I have also attached the test bench. Thanks.

Running: C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2017.3/bin/unwrapped/win64.o/xelab.exe -wto 7c66c1eefd4f4abfb45e34c8c4d85447 --incr --debug typical --relax --mt 2 -L xil_defaultlib -L secureip --snapshot tb_fir_double_dsp_behav xil_defaultlib.tb_fir_double_dsp -log elaborate.log
Using 2 slave threads.
Starting static elaboration
Completed static elaboration
INFO: [XSIM 43-4323] No Change in HDL. Linking previously generated obj files to create kernel
run_program: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:00 ; elapsed = 00:00:11 . Memory (MB): peak = 923.668 ; gain = 0.000
INFO: [USF-XSim-69] 'elaborate' step finished in '11' seconds
INFO: [USF-XSim-4] XSim::Simulate design
INFO: [USF-XSim-61] Executing 'SIMULATE' step in 'C:/HDL/fir_dsp_double/fir_dsp_double.sim/sim_1/behav/xsim'
INFO: [USF-XSim-98] *** Running xsim
with args "tb_fir_double_dsp_behav -key {Behavioral:sim_1:Functional:tb_fir_double_dsp} -tclbatch {tb_fir_double_dsp.tcl} -view {C:/HDL/fir_dsp_double/tb_fir_double_dsp_behav.wcfg} -log {simulate.log}"
INFO: [USF-XSim-8] Loading simulator feature
Vivado Simulator 2017.3
Time resolution is 1 ps
ERROR: [Simulator 45-7] No such file 'C:/Users/kirscwm1/Documents/My' in the design.

ERROR: [USF-XSim-62] 'simulate' step failed with errors. Please check the Tcl console or log files for more information.
ERROR: [Vivado 12-4473] Detected error while running simulation. Please correct the issue and retry this operation.
launch_simulation: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:01 ; elapsed = 00:00:26 . Memory (MB): peak = 923.668 ; gain = 0.000
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'launch_simulation' failed due to earlier errors.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: ERROR: [Simulator 45-7] No such file 'C:/Users/kirscwm1/Documents/My' in the design.

Jump to solution

@centercitybill  I believe what @shameera says also applies to Windows. 

Vivado is heavily TCL based on both Linux and Windows. As that is a script tool, spaces do matter when you do variable substitution.

Make a test and move your project from "My Documents" to say the C: root, just for the sake of a try.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
9 Replies

Re: ERROR: [Simulator 45-7] No such file 'C:/Users/kirscwm1/Documents/My' in the design.

Jump to solution

Hi @centercitybill,

Can you please make sure that there is no white space in the directory path of the file which you are trying to open in TB.

Below is the thread about similar issue

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/Vivado-simulate-error-white-spaces-in-path/m-p/831527

Thanks & Regards,

A.Shameer

Observer centercitybill
Observer

Jump to solution

I read this post, however it states that this is only a problem in Linux, not Windows. I am running Windows.

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@centercitybill  I believe what @shameera says also applies to Windows. 

Vivado is heavily TCL based on both Linux and Windows. As that is a script tool, spaces do matter when you do variable substitution.

Make a test and move your project from "My Documents" to say the C: root, just for the sake of a try.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
Observer centercitybill
Observer

Jump to solution

I moved all the files that are used by the test bench into the vivado design directory: C:/HDL/fir_dsp_double/, but I am getting the same error.

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@centercitybill Well it is not it then...

Can you post the error message now?

At least the path in the message should be different, no?

0 Kudos
Observer centercitybill
Observer

Jump to solution

@hbucher I am getting the same error message. I agree, it should reference a different path, but it is not. I reset the simulation and re-ran it. The error messages are below.

Time resolution is 1 ps

ERROR: [USF-XSim-62] 'simulate' step failed with errors. Please check the Tcl console or log files for more information.
ERROR: [Vivado 12-4473] Detected error while running simulation. Please correct the issue and retry this operation.
launch_simulation: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:01 ; elapsed = 00:00:39 . Memory (MB): peak = 940.910 ; gain = 0.000
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'launch_simulation' failed due to earlier errors.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @centercitybill,

From the attached TB I see that you are using the statement file_open(infile, "fir_dbl_dsp_stim.txt", READ_MODE); for opening the file.

By the way vivado searches the file in the current directory. You can use the command pwd to check the current directory.

Thanks & Regards,
A.Shameer

Observer centercitybill
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @shameera,

I have included the fir_dbl_dsp_stim.txt in my design so I assumed that vivado has the path to this file.

When I type the pwd command I get: C:/Users/kirscwm1/AppData/Roaming/Xilinx/Vivado

Bill

0 Kudos
Observer centercitybill
Observer

Jump to solution

I created a new project and made the files local and now the error has gone away. I guess the old design directory was corrupted somehow. Thanks for your help.

Bill