cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Empty Modelsim Libraries

I'm trying to use Modelsim SE-64 10.7a to run some Xilinx based simulations. However I require the unisim library which is currently not available pre-compiled within Modelsim. I have tried using compxlib from the command line as well as trying to generate the compiled libraries from within Vivado (I'm currently at an older version of Vivado - 2016.3). However when I then import the generated library into Modelsim it shows as empty. 

When I look int the unisim directory there are a few small files. When I look at some of the other libraries that have been compiled I see files with extensions such as qdb, qpg and qtl. I'm not sure if these are supposed to exist within the unisim library.

Can anyone help shed light on what could be going on here? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Empty Modelsim Libraries

How did you compile the simulaiton libraries exactly? Please note 'compxlib' is a command for ISE Design Suite, not Vivado.

Please have a look at the following AR which talks about libraries compilation with Vivado.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/53678.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the reply. Was not able to figure it out so I obtained precompiled libraries from someone who had them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @rperinpa1 ,

Were you able to resolve the issue? To compile the simulation libraries for Modelsim in Vivado use compile_simlib command. You can also refer the below links for steps:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64083.html

https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/simulating-mentor-questa-in-vivado.html  -- Similar steps need to be followed for Modelsim.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I think you find that 10.7 is not a supported version of Modelsim. I use it with 2018.3 and ISE 14.7 just the same.

The main issue seems to be compile scripts that use command line switches that are incompatible with newer versions of modelsim.

I just created small python scripts that capture the modelsim commands and replace the incompatible switches. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I am having the same problem where after generating the libraries in 14.7 and seeing my modelsim.ini file updated with all the paths, when I open modelsim 10.7, many of the libraries are empty.

Would you mind sharing what switches you had to take out please? Was it all the -32 and -novopt switches that are incompatible?

Is Modelsim 10.2 the latest compatible version with ISE 14.7? Maybe I should just roll back...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Yes those are the only ones I had to remove.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I ended up solving it properly by installing Modelsim 10.6C and building the simulation libraires in ISE. I was advised by Saros (our software licenser) that it was the latest compatible version.

0 Kudos