cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pranav_vaidya

Error Creating TBW file - ISE 9.2i

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I am posting to this forum so if I have misplaced my post, I apologize and in that case I would appreciate your input on where I can post this question.

The problem:

Whenever I try to add a Waveform testbench to a project, ISE 9.2i tells me that -> "Started : "Creating Tbw file"" and nothing happens. No resulting files are created anywhere. ISE just sits there doing nothing.

The setup:

ISE 9.2.04i running on  Fedora Core 9 - I cannot use any other ISE version because of some other dependencies that are outside my control.

Things that I have tried already:

I tried to see what might be happening by setting the following environment variables

XIL_PROJNAV_FLOW_DEBUG_LEVEL=12
XIL_PROJNAV_OUTPUT_LOG=$HOME/xil.log

Whenever, I add a new waveform test bench to the project I get the following debug messages

Started : "Creating Tbw file".
DEBUG (dpm_bencherCreateTbw): _ParserDuType is Architecture; _AssociatedModule is XXX; _ArchName is RTL
DEBUG (dpm_bencherCreateTbw): _AssociatedFile is /home/test/hdlworkspace/XXX/XXX.vhd
DEBUG (dpm_bencherCreateTbw): ProjectDir is /home/test/hdlworkspace/XXX

DEBUG (dpm_bencherCreateTbw): _Ifmt is vhdl
DEBUG (_PopulatePostAbstractSimulationView): Run Transform "TBIND_AbstractToPostAbstractSimulation_virtex5::TRAN_copyAbstractToPostAbstractSimulation"
DEBUG (dpm_chTransformExecute): TBIND_AbstractToPostAbstractSimulation_virtex5::TRAN_copyAbstractToPostAbstractSimulation with flow proc _copyDUsToOutputView
DEBUG (_PopulatePostAbstractSimulationView): Run Transform "TBIND_AbstractToPostAbstractSimulation_virtex5::TRAN_convertToHdl"
DEBUG (dpm_chCompositeTransformExecute): TransformInputSet.Size is 0
ERROR (_GetDuByNameInSet): No Du found that matches Entity name "XXX" and Parser DU type "Architecture"

I also tried creating the project from scratch but nothing different happens.

Anybody have any idea why this is happening ?

Thank in advance,

Pranav

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pranav_vaidya

Hello Eddie,

Thank you for your reply. I did try your solution for the ISE examples and I was able to create a test bench waveform for the stopwatch example project. 

I just wanted to add some more observations to when this error manifests itself.  When the project gets stuck with this error, I am usually left with no option but to recreate the project again. Here again, sometimes this approach resolves the issue and sometimes it doesnt. Since it works sometimes after I recreate the project, I am kind of hesitant to think along the lines that this might have something to OS support. Another interesting observation is that I get this error when I use a generic top-level module that has generic 2-D inputs.

For example, the project that I am talking about has the following top level module declaration.

ENTITY  some_entity IS

GENERIC (NUM_INPUTS : NATURAL := 8;

DATA_WIDTH : NATURAL := 64

)

PORT (

-- OTHER IP/OPS

P_INPORT : IN STD_LOGIC_2DVECTOR(NUM_INPUTS - 1 DOWNTO 0, DATA_WIDTH - 1 DOWNTO 0);

);

END some_entity;

and I have defined STD_LOGIC_2DVECTOR in one of my packages to be TYPE  STD_LOGIC_2DVECTOR IS ARRAY (INTEGER RANGE <>, INTEGER RANGE <>) OF STD_LOGIC;

Do you think it might have something to do with the generics thats causing this issue?

Nevertheless, the good thing I can report now is that yesterday night I recreated the entire project from scratch and this time everything worked smoothly. 

Thanks again,

Pranav

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
edv
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Pranav,

Are you able to create a testbench waveform using one of the ISE examples (File --> Open Example)?  If not, this may point to a problem when running the tools on FC9 as this OS is not a supported OS.

Eddie
0 Kudos
pranav_vaidya

Hello Eddie,

Thank you for your reply. I did try your solution for the ISE examples and I was able to create a test bench waveform for the stopwatch example project. 

I just wanted to add some more observations to when this error manifests itself.  When the project gets stuck with this error, I am usually left with no option but to recreate the project again. Here again, sometimes this approach resolves the issue and sometimes it doesnt. Since it works sometimes after I recreate the project, I am kind of hesitant to think along the lines that this might have something to OS support. Another interesting observation is that I get this error when I use a generic top-level module that has generic 2-D inputs.

For example, the project that I am talking about has the following top level module declaration.

ENTITY  some_entity IS

GENERIC (NUM_INPUTS : NATURAL := 8;

DATA_WIDTH : NATURAL := 64

)

PORT (

-- OTHER IP/OPS

P_INPORT : IN STD_LOGIC_2DVECTOR(NUM_INPUTS - 1 DOWNTO 0, DATA_WIDTH - 1 DOWNTO 0);

);

END some_entity;

and I have defined STD_LOGIC_2DVECTOR in one of my packages to be TYPE  STD_LOGIC_2DVECTOR IS ARRAY (INTEGER RANGE <>, INTEGER RANGE <>) OF STD_LOGIC;

Do you think it might have something to do with the generics thats causing this issue?

Nevertheless, the good thing I can report now is that yesterday night I recreated the entire project from scratch and this time everything worked smoothly. 

Thanks again,

Pranav

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
edv
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Pranav,

Thanks for the feedback.  I can't tell for sure whether this was your root cause as, as you state, rebuilding the project resolved the error.  The problems you may have encountered may have been due to a project corruption issue.

Eddie
0 Kudos
wbrysrmd

I am using ISE 10.1.3 and experienced the same problem with exact the same behavior.

message  shows up

Started : "Creating Tbw file".

then nothing: file is not created

I was using the same program with the same VHDL file yesterday without problems: today it stopped working.

Looks like it is a serious, reappearing problem: I have not changed the VHDL source file

I have no idea what to do?

I tried to recreate the project but it did not help.

Best regards

WieB 

0 Kudos
giangy

Hi, I've the same problem with test bench waveform....i've ISE 8.1 xilinx tool and when i start a simulation...i see in the console window: Started : "Creating Tbw file" but it does not happen anything....what could i do?? Thanks a lot

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am having the same problem with ISE 10.1.03 (nt). Help would be greatly appreciated... Cheers, Linus

Tags (2)
0 Kudos