Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Error when trying to compile in QuestaSim

Hello,

I have a project in Vivado 2014.4 and am simulating in QuestaSim 10.3c. When I go to simulate, I get the following error when compiling in QuestaSim:

# ** Error: ...../blank_delay_32x7ram/dist_mem_gen_v8_0/hdl/dist_mem_gen_v8_0_vh_rfs.vhd(46): Can't recompile existing unprotected design unit "dist_mem_gen_v8_0" as protected.

Has anyone else seen this error before? I cannot find anything about it. I have already tried recompiling the libraries and that did not work.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Error when trying to compile in QuestaSim

Have you tried running in Questa 10.3b?

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @paulgiro

It looks like you are not using correct set of IP files for simulation.

You can use the below command in Vivado project to identify the IP files which needs to be used for simulation.

get_files -compile_order sources -used_in simulation -of_objects [get_files <ip_name>.xci]

You can also set the simulator to Questasim (the one you use) in simulation settings and use the below command to generate scripts

launch_simulation –scripts_only

You can then use the generated scripts to run simulation in standalone simulator.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I will try running that command. I am already currently setting the simulator to Questa/Modelsim in the settings and allowing it to generate a compile script for me, and it is giving me the error. I will try using that command.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I tried that command, but it gives the same files to compile as I already was compiling. I am using a script generated by Vivado through the built in simulator with Questa/Modelsim set as the simulator. So that didn't work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @paulgiro

Can you attach the script you were using here?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

The two lines for compiling the IP in the script are as follows:

vcom -work dist_mem_gen_v8_0 "....../blank_delay_32x7ram/dist_mem_gen_v8_0/hdl/dist_mem_gen_v8_0_vh_rfs.vhd"
vcom -work xil_defaultlib "....../blank_delay_32x7ram/sim/blank_delay_32x7ram.vhd"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @paulgiro

I am able to simulate the 2014.4 IP example design succesfully at my end.

Can you check if you have compiled libraries properly?

We have started delivering the non-encrypted behavioral models from Vivado 2015.1. In case if you have access to this version of tool you can give a try.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I am pretty sure I am compiling them correctly. I am going to Tools>Compile Simulation Libraries. Within there, I am selecting Questa, VHDL, Kintex-7 (which is the FPGA I am using), and All libraries. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @paulgiro

Yes, that is correct.

Can you attach the simulation log file here?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos