Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

HDL simulation works, post synthesis simulation doesnt

Dear all,

I'm currently trying to use a statemachine to configure the clock IC on the VC709 eval board. The code is written in VHDL and has been implemented last year on a Spartan 6 and was tested successfully/worked in the hardware. I wrote a small testbench, supplying clock and reset signals, the rest comes from a small design with a I2C master component and a statemachine, that selects the registers to write.

When I run a behavioural simulation, the output is as expected. Data is written on the outputs and the statemachine finishes with a flag set high.

When I now synthesize the design and run a post synthesis functional simulation, I can see, that input data is created by the testbench correctly, but my statemachine is stuck even before the first data is send. I can also see different internal signals, that are marked red and with an X to show different driver forcing against each other, e.g. on a counter.

I have never encountered such a big difference between HDL synthesis and synth/implementation result. The HDL hasn't been altered but now synthesized for a different FPGA and with newer tools. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to debug this problem? I'm not quite sure where to start, since synthesis-tools are blackbox for me with not much to influence.

Best Regards,

Björn

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Hi,

First step to debug this is to look into synthesis log. Check for warnings and critical warnings carefully.

Thanks,
Yash
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

You can compare the generated log from both synthesis runs and also check generated messages.

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,
Looks like some FSM optimization related thing.
Try -flatten_hierarchy none in synthesis setting and see if that helps.
Also try using different options to -fsm_extraction and check if you are getting the expected output.

Check http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_4/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf for details on the above switches.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I checked the synth messages and there is no critical warning. There are 24 normal warnings about unused signals, which have been removed (unused RX related registers, since the FSM only writes data, and a not connected warning, since I have still the port in the top sheet, but doesn't use it in this reduced design). I can't identify a problem with these optimizations.

I also deactivated the flatten_hierarchy feature and tried every option of the -fsm_extraction, without any changes in the simulation behavior, without any effect on the outcome.

Any further ideas? I will read into ug901 to see, if any other options may be more convincing.

Best Regards,

Björn

0 Kudos