UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer ofdouglas
Observer

How can I delete a simulation set or remove files from it?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I accidentally left the 'include all design sources for simulation' box checked when creating a new simulation set - but I only want a few of my design sources to be in this simulation set.

I can't find an option to delete the simulation set or to remove files from it. What can I do?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How can I delete a simulation set or remove files from it?

Jump to solution

Hi @ofdouglas,

You can delete the simulation set when you have multiple simulation sets.

Say you have 2 simulation sets sim_1 and sim_2. Currently sim_1 is active and you want to delete sim_1.

First "Make active"  to sim_2 then delete sim_1.

Within a simulation set you can also set as "top module" to any file you want to simulate.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1.JPG
2.JPG
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @ofdouglas,

You can either disable the files or remove it from the project.

Right click on the files you want to "Disable" or "Remove". You will get the options.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

1.JPG
0 Kudos
Observer ofdouglas
Observer

Jump to solution
Hello Arpansur,

I tried both of your suggestions, but they affect the file across the entire project. Since I need to use these files in other parts of the project, globally disabling or removing them is not going to work.

I just want to make a few source files no longer part of a simulation set, without disabling or removing them from the project. How do I do that?

Thanks

Jump to solution

Hi @ofdouglas,

Can you give an example where you want to remove them from simulation but use it in some other part of the project?

You can set a different top module for simulation. 

You can try creating another simulation set and add the required files. 

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan

0 Kudos
Observer ofdouglas
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello @arpansur,

Here is an example. I am designing a MIPS processor, and I want to test the components individually before testing them as a whole. The mult_div_sim group is an example of what I want: only relevant files are included (so far just signed_divider.vhd). The barrel_shifter_sim group is an example of the problem I am asking you about: I accidentally included all of the sources, when it should only include barrel_shifter.vhd.

simset.png

I want to remove the extra files from the barrel_shifter_sim group. I do not want to remove them from simulation in general, or remove them from the project, or anything like that. I just want a way to control what files are in an existing simulation group.

Sure, I could create another simulation group, or use the barrel_shifter_sim as it is. But since I would like to use a lot of different simulation groups, I want them to be logical and well organized, not cluttered and illogical. So if I made a mistake in creating a simulation group, I want to be able to change it.

This seems like a very basic feature. I do not see how we should go about using simulation groups on a large project if it is impossible to fix mistakes or modify our approach to simulation as the design evolves. So please tell me, how can I delete a simulation set, or remove files from it?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @ofdouglas,

You can delete the simulation set when you have multiple simulation sets.

Say you have 2 simulation sets sim_1 and sim_2. Currently sim_1 is active and you want to delete sim_1.

First "Make active"  to sim_2 then delete sim_1.

Within a simulation set you can also set as "top module" to any file you want to simulate.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan

View solution in original post

1.JPG
2.JPG
0 Kudos
Observer ofdouglas
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello @arpansur,

Thanks very much, that is what I was looking for! It would be nice to have a way to remove just a single file from the simulation set, but deleting and recreating it will work for now.

Also, I was somewhat confused by the following behavior:

If I create a new simulation set with 'Include all design sources for simulation' unchecked, all of the sources from the whole project show up in the simulation set. If I later create a file in the simulation set, or import a file to the simulation set, only the files I have created or imported are shown (as expected).

Is that a bug? It isn't a big problem, but it confused me at first.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos