Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

ISE simulator can't locate component in work directory

Jump to solution

I am working with ISE 10.1 with all availabel updates installed. Working from a Platform Studio wizard generated design, I've only added one additional component, and according to ISE it is located in the work library. The project synthesizes fine, and my component 'MEM_pointer' appears in the RTL generated sechmatic, so apparently the library entity is being properly bound the the instance in my design.

When I attempt to simulate using ISE Simulator, I get the following warning, and the component is not simulated.

mem_pointer remains a black-box since it has no binding entity

I've searched the forums, and found similar problems, but none of the solution I've come across has worked yet. How can the entity bind during synthesis but not simulation?

Rich

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: ISE simulator can't locate component in work directory

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. After further experimentation, I found that when I moved the file "mem_pointer.vhd" from the work library to the library named after my pcore, the design simulated properly. This move was also required to synthesize the project.

Can you elaborate on your comment about ISE Simulator not fully supporting EDK designs? Is this with regard to simulating PLB/OPB operation? For my purposes, I've written a testbench that interfaces directly with "user_logic.vhd" (the wrapper that houses all custom logic in the peripheral) and replicates the relatively simple IPIC transactions.

Thank you for your time,

Rich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Rich,

Keep in mind that, as of 10.1, EDK designs are not fully supported by ISE Simulator.  The simulation results may not be accurate.

If you want to proceed further, if you are simulating via ISE, make sure the source file(s) for "mem_pointer" have either "All" or "Simulation" as a file property.  To double-check the property for any given source, right click on the source file(s) and click on "Properties".  If the files are set to "Implementation Only" ISE will not make them available to the simulator.

Hope this helps.

Eddie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. After further experimentation, I found that when I moved the file "mem_pointer.vhd" from the work library to the library named after my pcore, the design simulated properly. This move was also required to synthesize the project.

Can you elaborate on your comment about ISE Simulator not fully supporting EDK designs? Is this with regard to simulating PLB/OPB operation? For my purposes, I've written a testbench that interfaces directly with "user_logic.vhd" (the wrapper that houses all custom logic in the peripheral) and replicates the relatively simple IPIC transactions.

Thank you for your time,

Rich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Rich,

Xilinx currently does not test/validate all EDK pcores using ISE Simulator and, as such, this simulation setup is not supported.  

Eddie
0 Kudos