UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ISIM loop unrollment gives multiple drivers?

Jump to solution

I have a design and I use ISIM for simulation.

In the code I have the following loop:

for x in 3 to 1 loop
	a(x) <= a(x-1);
end loop;

To my knowledge this will unroll to be

a(3)	<= a(2);
a(2)	<= a(1);
a(1)	<= a(0);

This is used as a synchroniser for clock-crossing. a(0) is assinged a value on the source clock, and the rest is clocked on the destination clock. ISIM however gives no warnings on this, but also does not assign values (all are 'U'). If I unroll manualy (the second code fragment) it simulates as expected. Does anyone have any experience with this problem, if so would you point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ISIM loop unrollment gives multiple drivers?

Jump to solution

HI @pietervanderstar

Are you seeing this only behavioral simulation alone? is the post translate simulation working as expected?

If its happenning only in behavioral simulation.
Can you try initilize the 'a' std_logic_vector to '0'  or 'Z' and try again?

signal a  : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0):= (OTHERS => '0');

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @pietervanderstar

Are you seeing this only behavioral simulation alone? is the post translate simulation working as expected?

If its happenning only in behavioral simulation.
Can you try initilize the 'a' std_logic_vector to '0'  or 'Z' and try again?

signal a  : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0):= (OTHERS => '0');

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @pietervanderstar,

I suspect this must be because of 

for x in 3 to 1 loop

Please change this to:

for x in 3 downto 1 loop

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Tushar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer ("Accept as solution") in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post guided you to the solution.
This will help others in the long run

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sorry

for x in 3 to 1 loop

was a typo in this forum. My code uses downto.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
I cannot perform post translate simulation (ISE14.7), but initializing did the trick. I first initialized to '0' but that left one bit with X, so I tried different values. Initializing to 'Z' worked as expected, exept that during reset I assign a (which is an array of an array of std_logic_vectors) as follows:

a(3 downto 1) <= (others => (others => (others=>'0')));

This reset all values exept a(1) this has 'U' on 5 downto 0; This is then shifted out as expected and never to be seen again. It works for my purposes but still a bit strange I think.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @pietervanderstar

Good to know that it worked.

I am  quite sure you will be facing this issue only in behavioural simulation.
std_gloic in VHDL behaviroual simulation is 9 vlaued resolved logic. As resolving 'U' with any value will result in 'U'. it is always safe to initialize signals to '0' or 'Z' in VHDL design .

Thanks
Bharath
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I also use Modelsim (privately) and I have never encountered this issue. Also initializing with '-' resulted in 'U' as well.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @pietervanderstar

Yes VHDL  behavioural simulation of ISE/Vivado and third party tools might differ in the aspect that the xilinx tools  simulate the signals as 9 valued std_logic elements.
Though I am not quite sure about this, Modelsim/Questasim  converts 9 valued std_logic to 4 valued  net logic(0,1,Z,X) even  at behavioural simulation level to achieve faster simulation. Hence such issues may not arise.  

Thanks
Bharath
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

That could be though 'U' is given to uninitialized values. But we're drifting off-topic. :)

0 Kudos