Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

ISIM post place and route simulation

Hello,

I am having problem with post place and route simulation using ISIM. I was using modelsim without a problem for many years but I could not figure out what is going on for the last 5 hours  with ISIM so I am posting this message.

1-  How can I add/see my testbench to simulation view pane  and post-Route drop down list.

2-  Do I have to generate post place and route model by myself from the implementation view pane.

3-  Can you clarify this because apperantly it is not working for me.  "you can set the Generate Multiple Hierarchical Netlist option in the Simulation Model Properties dialog box for the Generate Post-Place & Route Simulation Model process. After the simulation model netlist is generated, the netlist appears in the hierarchy under the test bench that instantiates it. Select this test bench to simulate."

best regards

Serkan

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: ISIM post place and route simulation

Basically the situation is like this : Even though I add the source testbench in the post-route view I cant see in there. I am checking the files and I am seeing the testbench is there added to the project but I cant see in the post-route view so I cant highlight it and make a testbench simulation. 

I followed the rules in the link below and did not help because I cant see the testbench but the other modules in there.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/pp_p_process_simulate_post_place.htm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I wonder if you ever resolved this problem? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi mmatusov,
If you are facing a similar issue, please feel free to post the complete information.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I don't have time at the moment to describe the problem in great detail, but basically I found that adding an existing testbench to the project is not easy and that if the testbench uses a package it is even more difficult. For the latter case there is an AR explaining a workaround, which I didn't have time to try. Also, switching between implementation and simulation views, and switching top-level units creates all sorts of problems in ISE. Overall, it seems that the simulation engine is good, but the project management through GUI/integration to ISE leaves much to desire. All I wanted to do is to take an existing  design from Active HDL simulator and try it in ISim. In the end I had to give up and write a new testbench.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@mmatusov wrote:

. All I wanted to do is to take an existing  design from Active HDL simulator and try it in ISim. In the end I had to give up and write a new testbench.

The TESTBENCH source should be the same for Active-HDL and ModelSim and ISim and ghdl and ncsim. I have used the same testbench sources in Active-HDL and ISim without modification and they work as expected.

How the tool manages the project is another issue entirely.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@bassman59 wrote:

The TESTBENCH source should be the same for Active-HDL and ModelSim and ISim and ghdl and ncsim. I have used the same testbench sources in Active-HDL and ISim without modification and they work as expected.

As I have said, there is a problem if the testbench uses packages. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, testbench with packages has some compile order issues when using it through GUI. The AR would help you out.
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I wanna do the post P&R simulation with ISE14.7 for my design. It icludes some custom IPs wirtten in VHDL and some Xilinx IPs. ISE was succesfully generate post P&R simulation model but when I run the simulation to invoke the ISIM it come up with an error after a while which says something about CC1.exe file and compiling C libraries!!! (my design does not have any embedded processor such as MicroBlaze or ARM). It is internsting that I can succesfully run  post P&R simulation when I use much smaller (around 1/4 in size) design. Does anybody has any idea why this error happens? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@rooholamin : Please create a new thread for this issue.
Regards,
Debraj

0 Kudos