UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jutilc
Visitor

ISIM simply does not run

Hi,

I'm brand new to using ISE Design Suite as well as VHDL.   For my class, I have to simulate my code with the VHDL testbench.  I know how to make this file and have had TAs and classmates check to make sure I am doing it right.

When I attempt to "Simulate Behavioral Model," the console runs through all the contruction and what not.  At the end, it says:

"ISim simulation engine GUI launched successfully

Process "Simulate Behavioral Model" completed successfully"

But the window for ISIM does not open.

I have run this testbench on other computers and it works fine.  It just doesn't work on my machine. 

Any ideas why this is happening?  Could there be some program blocking it from opening?

I have unistalled and reinstalled 14.2. Solved nothing.

I am going to try installing 14.1, but am still skeptical.

I know of no one else in the class that is having this issue.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Re: ISIM simply does not run

Does Task manager see it, even briefly?

Do you get any files such as 'fuse.log', 'isim.log'? If so, are there any messages that might give you a clue?

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Visitor jutilc
Visitor

i see a fuse.exe
nothing with a .log
this disappears from TM when done in console window(in ISE)

and i've looked through all the messages in the console window and no sign of errors
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Can you bring up the ISIM GUI from command line?

isimgui.exe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor jutilc
Visitor

Ok, so I couldn't figure out how to run the isimgui.exe through the command line, but I managed to find the .exe file in the ISE folder. When I try and run the isimgui.exe out of ISE, a system error comes up.
"The program can't start because libGui_Clip.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Can you find "libGui_Clip.dll" at $XILINX/lib/<platform>?

For example, if you're using Windows 64-bit, check $XILINX/lib/nt64.

If it's missing as the message indicates, I suggest that you re-install ISE. Also make sure the download archive is complete by comparing the MD5 checksum.

0 Kudos
Visitor jutilc
Visitor

well, the libGui_Clip.dll does exist in the location where you said it would be. Any idea why the program can't see it? all spelling is correct as well as upper/lowercase letters.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It might be helpful to run some debugging utilities like Windows Dependency Walker. This is usually an environment specific issue.

Please go ahead and file a webcase if you need further help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor vkantamn
Visitor

Hi,

similar issue.

Xilinx says, FATAL_ERROR:Simulator:CompilerAssert.h:40:1.129 - Internal Compiler Error in file ../src/VhdlExpr.cpp at line 587   Process will terminate. For technical support on this issue, please open a WebCase with this project attached at http://www.xilinx.com/support.

Code is basically sythesizable. :( All I am doing is writing the values to a output file in the test bench.  Here is the code
 write: process
  file pointer: text;
  variable myline : line;
   begin
    file_open(pointer,"C:\userdata\xworkspace\gen3\file_io.text", write_mode);
    write(myline, to_integer(b_s));
    writeline(pointer, myline);
   wait;
  end process;

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Try changing the name of the process to something that isn't also the name of a procedure in a package that you are using.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
Visitor vkantamn
Visitor

you are awesome!
0 Kudos
Visitor jutilc
Visitor

my application for a webcase was denied for one of many reasons. I believe the foremost one is that I am a student. I have downloaded the Windows Dependency Walker, but am having trouble figuring out how to use it and what it's telling me. Any tips?
0 Kudos
Newbie progcpe

I also encountered the same problem but i had managed to open isim in just one project. I basically did the same thing on my other project but they the isim just doen't open. I tried to simulate it in some pc and it works. I had reinstalled xilinx already and the same thing happens, the isim won't open. It only displays this:

Started : "Simulate Behavioral Model".

Determining files marked for global include in the design...
Running fuse...
Command Line: fuse -intstyle ise -incremental -lib secureip -o {C:/Users/KHARL/Documents/temp/CPE/Advanced Logic/LOPEZ_COEM423/D_SHIFT_REG/d_shift_reg_wave_isim_beh.exe} -prj {C:/Users/KHARL/Documents/temp/CPE/Advanced Logic/LOPEZ_COEM423/D_SHIFT_REG/d_shift_reg_wave_beh.prj} work.d_shift_reg_wave {}
Running: C:\Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\unwrapped\fuse.exe -intstyle ise -incremental -lib secureip -o C:/Users/KHARL/Documents/temp/CPE/Advanced Logic/LOPEZ_COEM423/D_SHIFT_REG/d_shift_reg_wave_isim_beh.exe -prj C:/Users/KHARL/Documents/temp/CPE/Advanced Logic/LOPEZ_COEM423/D_SHIFT_REG/d_shift_reg_wave_beh.prj work.d_shift_reg_wave
ISim P.28xd (signature 0xa0883be4)
Number of CPUs detected in this system: 4
Turning on mult-threading, number of parallel sub-compilation jobs: 8
Determining compilation order of HDL files
Parsing VHDL file "C:/Users/KHARL/Documents/temp/CPE/Advanced Logic/LOPEZ_COEM423/D_SHIFT_REG/D_SHIFT_REG.vhd" into library work
Parsing VHDL file "C:/Users/KHARL/Documents/temp/CPE/Advanced Logic/LOPEZ_COEM423/D_SHIFT_REG/d_shift_reg_wave.vhd" into library work
Starting static elaboration
Completed static elaboration
Compiling package standard
Compiling package std_logic_1164
Compiling architecture behavioral of entity D_SHIFT_REG [d_shift_reg_default]
Compiling architecture behavior of entity d_shift_reg_wave
Time Resolution for simulation is 1ps.
Waiting for 1 sub-compilation(s) to finish...
Compiled 5 VHDL Units
Built simulation executable C:/Users/KHARL/Documents/temp/CPE/Advanced Logic/LOPEZ_COEM423/D_SHIFT_REG/d_shift_reg_wave_isim_beh.exe
Fuse Memory Usage: 28940 KB
Fuse CPU Usage: 560 ms
Launching ISim simulation engine GUI...
"C:/Users/KHARL/Documents/temp/CPE/Advanced Logic/LOPEZ_COEM423/D_SHIFT_REG/d_shift_reg_wave_isim_beh.exe" -intstyle ise -gui -tclbatch isim.cmd -wdb "C:/Users/KHARL/Documents/temp/CPE/Advanced Logic/LOPEZ_COEM423/D_SHIFT_REG/d_shift_reg_wave_isim_beh.wdb"
ISim simulation engine GUI launched successfully

Process "Simulate Behavioral Model" completed successfully

0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you figure the way out of this problem?

I am also facing the same issue. libGui_Clip.dll is present in the folder it has to be present but _pn.exe cannot find it.

Please let me know if you found a solution.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

Hello,
You can create a new topic as the one where you are posting is old now and may not be related to your issue.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Newbie ardiramelan

hi

im also have the same exact problem, im using windows 7 32 bit and i cant find file such as 'fuse.log', 'isim.log',isimgui.exe in ISE folder also i have reinstalled it twice and it still dont work but i try to install it to my friends laptop(windows 7 64bit)  and it went work. any idea why is this happening ?

0 Kudos