UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie wruggeri

ISIM slower on notebook

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing a strange issue I'd like to discuss with you: when i run ISIM (ISE 14.7, WebPack license, by the way) on my workstation (which is equipped with several years-old components: for example, the processor is one of the first i7 ever marketed), a certain project of mine gets simulated in about ten seconds; when I try to simulate the very same project on my notebook (a brand new Lenovo equipped with 7th generation Intel i7, 8GB RAM and so on... a pretty good notebook indeed), I need more than TWELVE HOURS to obtain the waveforms!

At first, I thought it was a settings-related fault, so I checked them all... nothing: all the settings are exactly the same. Now, I tried to install ISE again, tried to use ModelSim (which is way faster than ISIM, but I can't use to simulate my project because I need the waveform's .wcgf file which student edition does not allow me to obtain)... I really tried everything I could think.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Re: ISIM slower on notebook

Altera/Intel provide Modelsim for free with their prime lite edition.

Not sure if you can get Xilinx libraries working with it though. Might be worth a try

0 Kudos
Newbie wruggeri

As I said, I already installed Modelsim... but it does not solve my problem: I need .wcfg files, which Modelsim Lite does not allow to obtain.

0 Kudos

Hi @wruggeri,

I am not sure what the question is here, but in relation to the difference in time running on the two different machines, what Operating Systems are running on the machines. I'm guessing one was Windows 7 & the newer one is Windows 10?

ISE is not supported on Windows 10, but it is possible to get it running. Check out the following links which may help.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/ug1227-spartan6-vm-windows10.pdf

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/62380.html

Best Regards
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Newbie wruggeri

Hi,

you guessed it right: one runs Win7 and the other one runs Win10. To have ISE run, I performed the "tricks" the links are about.

So you say my notebook's ISIM being really slow could be related with ISE being not compatible with Windows 10?

0 Kudos

Hi @wruggeri,

It is definitely possible, but I have never tried to run ISE and ISIM on a Windows 10 machine. Certain versions of Vivado are only supported on specific versions of Windows 10. This is documented in User Guide 973.

When support is dropped in Windows 10 for a feature or software it is usually down to testing and / or compatibility issues that have been found.

BTW if you include the @ symbol before someones name then they will receive a notification that you have replied.

This may help you to get quicker responses to your posts.

Best Regards
Aidan

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users