UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Historian
Historian

ISim bug: "Attribute quiet not supported in subprograms."

As an attempt to see if ISim (14.1, Windows 7 64-bit) handles the IBUF delays I complained about in a previous post, I decided to run my test bench in ISim instead of Active-HDL.

I ran into an interesting error message:

ERROR:Simulator:829 - "E:/foo/bar/bletch.vhdl" Line 162. Attribute quiet not supported in subprograms

where the relevant code looks like:

TestProcess : process is

procedure foo () is

begin

wait until not testbussignal'quiet;

end procedure foo;

begin -- start of process TestProcess

foo;

end process TestProcess;

As usual, clicking on the error message is pointless. Searches using the Google for this error message turn up nothing.

The point here, of course, is that Active-HDL is perfectly happy with this but ISim complains that it's a total error.

ISim broken?

It's now Webcase 930462. I'm pretty sure it will be dropped on the floor.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: ISim bug: "Attribute quiet not supported in subprograms."

Ah, lovely: the bug was previously found and enhancement request 524733 was filed. The bug was fixed in Vivado, but "due to development priorities this request has been fixed only in the new simulator and not in ISIM."

GREAT.

So, the $64,000 question: Does the Vivado simulator support non-7-series devices? Because this bug fix doesn't help those of use still using the older devices.

0 Kudos

Unfortunately, Vivado only supports V7 and future architecture devices, and will not have support for older series devices. The simulation parser, engine, and waveform viewers have been re-architected in Vivado, and this is the reason for the inability to port older designs forward. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for, but wanted to at least respond to your question.

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, Vivado only supports V7 and future architecture devices, and will not have support for older series devices. The simulation parser, engine, and waveform viewers have been re-architected in Vivado, and this is the reason for the inability to port older designs forward. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for, but wanted to at least respond to your question.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks for the update. I suspected as much.

But here's a reasonable question: for functional simulation without instantiated Xilinx primitives, device support doesn't matter. But it seems to me that the library primitives for the older architectures could be simply recompiled for the new simulator and then they'd work. Or the sources for the older primitives could be added to the project and compiled like any other source, but that of course eats into the number-of-lines-before-the-simulator-becomes-useless threshold.

But ISim is free! As in beer!

(I normally use Active-HDL, which works well, but I noticed that the models for the IBUFDS and IBUFGDS were ignoring the IFD_DELAY_VALUE and IBUF_DELAY_VALUE generics (see the thread http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/Spartan-3A-IBUFDS-and-IBUFGDS-models-and-their-delay-generics/td-p/251552), so I figured I would test the design using ISim, and then I ran into the bug.

(I realize that the attribute 'quiet likely falls into one of the "dusty corners of VHDL," but fer chrissakes it's been in the language for over twenty years. What do I want for free?)

0 Kudos