cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmnedel

ISim simulation and CPU usage

Hello everyone,

is there a way to increase the CPU usage of my simulation? I'm currently simulating a very big project and the simulation tooks hours to complete. I need to run it severel times to get a precise estimation for my research and it's currently not viable to do so.

I'm using ISE 14.6 and the CPU usage for my ISim never exceed 13%. So my question is: There's something I can do to speed-up my simulation?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eric_delage
Explorer
Explorer

13% Looks like you're simulating w/ only one virtual core on an i7. I'm not sure ISim supports multi-threading. Have a look to the documentation for it. Otherwise switch to XSim incl. in Vivado.

If it's not enough you'll have to have a look to your code and see if your coding style is appropriate. For instance, std_logic_vector are nice but if you simulate some datapath you should better consider using integer range ... to ...

0 Kudos
vijayak
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

ISIM supports multi-threading by default.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
eric_delage
Explorer
Explorer

Maybe by default but with 13% CPU usage, he is running with a single processor on an i7 processor (13% CPU usage is the typical value you see in this case). So what could explain, if it's active by default, that it runs on a single processor? Its it only possible if he disabled the multi-threading?

0 Kudos
vijayak
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,
with multi threading on by default, and the machine has single processor then the tool will work on single processor only.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
mckinjo4
Explorer
Explorer

vijayak,

Are you certain that ISIM uses multi-threading for both compilation and execution?

I've read some support pages that indicate that fuse uses multi-threading and that multi-threading is on by default, but this is just for compilation.

I can't find any references to the simulation executable that gets compiled, for example "mytestbench_isi," using multiple cores. I'm running on a 12 core machine on RHEL6 and when I run the "top" command to look at the processing time, mytestbench_isi sits at 99.7% or 100.1%. I am trying to speed up my simulation and if the executable would use multiple cores it would help immensely.

0 Kudos