UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie wmnedel

ISim simulation and CPU usage

Hello everyone,

is there a way to increase the CPU usage of my simulation? I'm currently simulating a very big project and the simulation tooks hours to complete. I need to run it severel times to get a precise estimation for my research and it's currently not viable to do so.

I'm using ISE 14.6 and the CPU usage for my ISim never exceed 13%. So my question is: There's something I can do to speed-up my simulation?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: ISim simulation and CPU usage

13% Looks like you're simulating w/ only one virtual core on an i7. I'm not sure ISim supports multi-threading. Have a look to the documentation for it. Otherwise switch to XSim incl. in Vivado.

If it's not enough you'll have to have a look to your code and see if your coding style is appropriate. For instance, std_logic_vector are nice but if you simulate some datapath you should better consider using integer range ... to ...

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

ISIM supports multi-threading by default.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Maybe by default but with 13% CPU usage, he is running with a single processor on an i7 processor (13% CPU usage is the typical value you see in this case). So what could explain, if it's active by default, that it runs on a single processor? Its it only possible if he disabled the multi-threading?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,
with multi threading on by default, and the machine has single processor then the tool will work on single processor only.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

vijayak,

Are you certain that ISIM uses multi-threading for both compilation and execution?

I've read some support pages that indicate that fuse uses multi-threading and that multi-threading is on by default, but this is just for compilation.

I can't find any references to the simulation executable that gets compiled, for example "mytestbench_isi," using multiple cores. I'm running on a 12 core machine on RHEL6 and when I run the "top" command to look at the processing time, mytestbench_isi sits at 99.7% or 100.1%. I am trying to speed up my simulation and if the executable would use multiple cores it would help immensely.

0 Kudos