cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

ISim simulation executable crashes Windows 10 CLI

Jump to solution

Greetings. New member here. I hope I'm following the guidelines properly. I searched for similar issues, but couldn't find one that matches mine.

Our current task at university requires some understanding of what goes on in the background before and during simulation. So I read through the documentation and got a general idea. The fuse compiler links the modules (verilog in our case) referenced in a .prj file and some libraries to create a simulation executable. This executable can then be run using tcl commands interactively or in batch mode.

Things work just fine when I use the ISE gui. Simulation, implementation and all. However, attempting the same from the command line results in failure. First, I noticed that there are at least 4 different fuse executable files. One in Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt, another in bin\nt\unwrapped, a third in bin\nt64, and a fourth in bin\nt64\unwrapped.

I tried them all from the command line, both by writing their full directory, and by setting their directory in the PATH environment variable. All of them failed and told me "The code execution cannot proceed because [.dll file] was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem". At first I thought I must use either of the two 64 bit files in the nt64, but it turns out the one in nt64\unwrapped has the same issue. Only the one in nt64 compiles the modules and creates the executable successfully. Strangely, the ISE gui runs the following command successfully as it tells me in the console. It uses the "unwrapped" version, so I don't know what the issue is.

C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\unwrapped\fuse.exe -intstyle ise -incremental -lib unisims_ver -lib unimacro_ver -lib xilinxcorelib_ver -lib secureip -o C:/Users/ASUS/Desktop/Verilog Projects/Full_Adder32/Test_FA4_isim_beh.exe -prj C:/Users/ASUS/Desktop/Verilog Projects/Full_Adder32/Test_FA4_beh.prj work.Test_FA4 work.glbl

After that, attempting to run any simulation executable from windows explorer or the command line (interactive or batch) results in a "not responding" message and immediate crash. Again, the ISE can run it with no issues.

C:/Users/ASUS/Desktop/Verilog Projects/Full_Adder32/Test_FA4_isim_beh.exe -intstyle ise -gui -tclbatch isim.cmd  -wdb C:/Users/ASUS/Desktop/Verilog Projects/Full_Adder32/Test_FA4_isim_beh.wdb

My machine is 64-bit Windows 10 Home, Intel I7-7700HQ, 8GB RAM. I hope that's clear enough.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher
Teacher

A couple of things 

Mainly, you seem to be trying to run ISE 14.7 under Windows 10 

ISE 14.7 does not run under W10 .

There are two versions of 14.7 for windows

One for W7, the other for W10, 

But the W10 version is a Oracle Virtual machine that installs ISE in its own Linux,

If you have ISE 14.7 runnign on 10 directly today , it might stop working tomorrow or the day after , depending upon the MS update you install.

many people have tried over time, and get success, then it falls over, normally just at a critical point of the project ,,,

lastly,

yes, the W7 version of ISE, there is a "special" CMD prompt that you need to run any Xilinx commands from ,

the CMD prompt sets up when it starts then removes when it stops all the system variables and environment that the Xilinx tools need.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Visitor
Visitor

Out of curiosity, I checked the "Xilinx Design Tools" folder in the start menu. To my surprise, the suite comes with its own command line programs, 32 and 64 bit. I ran the "unwrapped" fuse compiler from there and it worked fine. Then I ran the simulation executable and it went into interactive mode without crashing.

I don't know what the explanation is, but I'm glad. I'll try different commands and options to make sure it doesn't crash.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher

A couple of things 

Mainly, you seem to be trying to run ISE 14.7 under Windows 10 

ISE 14.7 does not run under W10 .

There are two versions of 14.7 for windows

One for W7, the other for W10, 

But the W10 version is a Oracle Virtual machine that installs ISE in its own Linux,

If you have ISE 14.7 runnign on 10 directly today , it might stop working tomorrow or the day after , depending upon the MS update you install.

many people have tried over time, and get success, then it falls over, normally just at a critical point of the project ,,,

lastly,

yes, the W7 version of ISE, there is a "special" CMD prompt that you need to run any Xilinx commands from ,

the CMD prompt sets up when it starts then removes when it stops all the system variables and environment that the Xilinx tools need.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post