UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor laczol23
Visitor

In Vivado cannot add bus like signals to waveform

I have a 16 bit bus in the design, but in the Synthesized design all signals of the bus appear as separate signals. But anyway, they are different signals from [0:0] to [15:15], every one of them on a different probe input of the ila core. So in the Waveform window, I opened the Add probes window, selected the 16 signals, and added them to the waveform.

Add probes.jpgAdd probes

Unfortunately all the added signals became [0:0].

Waveform.jpgThe same signals in Waveform

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: In Vivado cannot add bus like signals to waveform

First, to see if this is a naming issue or a connection issue, do you see those signals connected to ILA probes as expected in the Implemented design? You can check this by Schematic.

-vivian

0 Kudos
Visitor laczol23
Visitor

Yes, I can see the signals connected to the ILA core. On the left you can see the i_system block, on the right the u_ila_0 block.

Implemented design.jpgImplemented design

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

From what I see of your screen capture, your 16-bit bus has been split out into 16 individual nets.  I would suggest a couple of options:

1) In the waveform viewer you can define a "virtual bus" and add each of the 16 probes to it,

2) In your BD, use a "concat" block to bundle the 16 nets back into a a 16-bit bus, then connect the bus to one port of the ILA.

Ted Booth - Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com
0 Kudos
Visitor laczol23
Visitor

OK, thank you. But I still have questions.

1. I defined a Virtual bus, but how can I add a probe to it? Yes, I can add a [0:0] to it, simple move the signal on the virtual bus. But I cannot add [1:1], because the main problem is, that I cannot add [1:1] to the waveform.

2. In BD (Block Design) these are already a bus. Only in the Synthesis Design has it been split to individual nets.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Can you try "write_debug_probes" command to generate the ltx file in the implemented design?

And use this new generated ltx file to replace the original one that was generated along with the bit file.

-vivian

0 Kudos
Visitor laczol23
Visitor

I regenerated the ltx file from command line. It is practically the same. But as I read it, I wonder, if I can edit it manually. I can see what is the difference between a single net and a bus.

0 Kudos
Visitor andregnad
Visitor

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have the same malfunction (since Vivado version 2018.3). I had hoped it would be fixed with Vivado 2019.1, but unfortunately I still get this bug.

add_wave_error_1.png
add_wave_error_2.png
add_wave_error_ltx_file.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@andregnad Could you provide your project for us to reproduce the issue?

-vivian

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@laczol23 I think you can try to edit the .ltx file.

What's more, could you provide your project for us to reproduce the issue?

-vivian

0 Kudos
Visitor andregnad
Visitor

What should I change in the .ltx file?

Unfortunately it is not possible for me for legal reasons to give the project to an external partner.

André

0 Kudos