Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Is VHPI support planned for Vivado ?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I wonder whether VHPI support is planned for the Vivado Simulator.

This is of course very helpful for vhdl based testbenches.

For ISE this was always on the 'roadmap', see

ISE 13.1 ModelSim Migration Guide

but afaik never materialized.

What are the plans for Vivado ? Does anybody know ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Currently we are not planning much around VHPI. We have DPI support today, although VHPI is something that is on the roadmap, although I really doubt we will ever do as the demand is not very high for this.

Thanks

Duth

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Hi,

Currently VPI is in road map.
http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/Xsim-IKI-Documentation/td-p/508751

Regarding VHPI I am not sure. But i will post if i find any information.

Thanks,
Yash
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Hi,

I see a product requirement filed for VHPI support but the timeline details are not yet known.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Currently we are not planning much around VHPI. We have DPI support today, although VHPI is something that is on the roadmap, although I really doubt we will ever do as the demand is not very high for this.

Thanks

Duth

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I would just like to add my name to the list of paying customers who would like Vivado to support VHPI.

As a European company, all our code is in VHDL, so a VPI interface is useless to us, we need VHPI.

Thank you

[Opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the views of Telesoft Technologies Ltd.]
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

VHPI would be interesting, especially as Modelsim (afaik) doesn't support it. It would allow Python testbenches to be written with cocotb for VHDL, and would provide a good differentiating reason to use Vivado sim.

Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

VHDL is a very primitive language, especially for file I/O.  I spend much more time translating test data back and forth into VHDL compatible formats than I do working on my design.

One way to alleviate this problem would be to add VHPI to the simulator.  I could feed data in and out of my simulation in convenient full precision formats.  In C, I could directly read and write native Matlab (.mat) data formats.

Today, I needed my VHDL testbench to write 48 bit unsigned numbers to a file, a bloody mess.

In the very early days, before VHDL and Verilog, Mentor Graphics had a C language interface on their logic simulator.  I used that interface to build very sophisticated testbenches for my logic.  In a lot of ways, things have gone backward since those days.

Pete

----------------------------------------
DSP in hardware and software
-----------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I would also like to add my name to this list. As ModelSim doesn't support VHPI, it will be a major motivator for me to use ISIM if it supports VHPI.

VHDL is a great language, and can be as high level as C in my opinion. One can code in a high-level "abstract" way, or code in a more primitive low-level way. VHDL is very flexible in this sense.

However, I still find myself needing to interface VHDL with other languages, mainly for verification purpose. Because many models are frequently provided in languages such as C or Matlab, while implementing these models in VHDL, there is always a need to verify correctness against the original (golden) model. Rewriting the models in VHDL would most likely allow unintended mistakes to creep in, therefore we would like to use vendor-provided models directly in our verification flow. This is where we need VHPI.

-dan