Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Isim fatal error

HI,
I've been simulating my design using Isim, and for some reason it began collapsing. I am not sure what's causing the problem. Moreover, some waveforms are acting strangely, and unexpectedly.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Isim fatal error

Hello @assaf108,

Check if this thread helps
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/simulation-failed-to-launch-14-2/m-p/648859#M30381

Else post the complete error which you are facing. 

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

It's not the same problem. The simulator launchs, but misbehaving later on.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

you may send us snapshot or log file to understand the issue
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

suggestions,

exit vivado and delete the sims and cache folders,

then re make.

The thing thats caused my sims to crash out have been things like 

the above cache problem

signals that 'loop'  / never stabalise, 

test bench errrors, i.e. not in the code , but the testing code that is only used in simulation.

I've ended up commenting out lumps of my code before now to try to isolate where the problem is.

good luck

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

so you suggst re-installing Isim? im using ISE 14.4 if that gives you a clue, and writing in verilog.

Screenshot_2015-09-02-22-20-00.jpgScreenshot_2015-09-02-22-18-44.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/36813.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33217.html

Please try with ISE 14.7 release .
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'll check 14.7 out
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Try running the simulation by adding less signals in the waveform window or you can dump the signals in a VCD file and open it a waveform viewer for later use if the signals are not coming properly.

The details for the generation of the VCDfiles are contained in the ISim User'sGuide under the Writing Activity Data for Power Consumption section. The following is an example from that guide:

1.) Run ISim in command line mode
2.) Enter the following ISim commands to dump all signals of the simulation to the VCD file:

vcd dumpfile mydump.vcd
vcd dumpvars -m /
run 100ns
vcd dumpflush

3.) The VCD file will be saved in the current working directory.

4.) Open the VCD file in the waveform viewer such as GTKWave

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtkwave/
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Ok i tried 14.7 didnt work. I'll try creating vcd file..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

well, I created a VCD file, but I cant install GTKwave on my PC.

I simulated my design on another computer - and it worked. I have absolutly no idea why it keeps crashing.

any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

There are many Free VCD viewer other than GTK. You can google them out. One example is:
http://www.iss-us.com/wavevcd/

This is a system specific issue and mostly relates to the .dll interaction between your system and ISIM.exe. You can try to use the VCD option as a workaround and may be in future, use the Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) tool to see which .dll is missing. You can also try to copy the entire image of ISE from the working machine to the current machine where it fails and check.
Regards,
Debraj

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I solved it. I copied my whole work directory to the desktop, isim stopped crashing. There are still some minor graphical glitches, but it seems to be working properly.
Any ideas about problematic path names?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@assaf108

This could be possible if path length exceeds 260-Byte.

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I checked again, it did not solve the problem completely, its a partial solution.
It seems to happen now only when watching the start of the simulation or when pressing zoom to full view.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Could the test fixture code itself be the problem?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@assaf108

Can you test the design on different machine to understand whether this is a design specific issue or machine specific issue?

Thanks,
Anusheel
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'll try simating with vhdl test bench. Might just work..
0 Kudos