UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer martin336
Observer

Missing Breakpoint Toolbar

Jump to solution

I got module written in VHDL and testbench for it (also VHDL). When I run Behavioral Simulation using Vivado Simulator, I got the waveform, but I am not able to set breakpoints ... because there is no breakpoint toolbar (the vertical line for toggling breakpoints is not there, just line numbers), nor right-clicking in code on executable line offers setting a breakpoint.

Using Vivado 2015.4, the project is opened in IP Packager (I am repackaging custom IP).

Am I missing something ? I have been through UG900, they just assume the breakpoint toolbar is there.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer martin336
Observer

Re: Missing Breakpoint Toolbar

Jump to solution

Reminder.

All the files need to be copied to project by Vivado for breapoints to be enabled. I have files sourced from folder right next to project_folder. That caused files to be not recognized as part of the project, even though the file was listed in the sources of the project in Vivado Source tab.

Bug.

IP PACKAGER DOESNT PROVIDE BREAKPOINT TOOLBAR. When repackaging IP the breakpoint toolbar disappears from GUI. 

Another possible bug (I need to test it a little bit more).

Capital letters in path or IP name cause vivado to not recognize it when placing breakpoints through TLC command in IP Packager. The path nor the name has spaces " " , just "_" and "."

Could someone file a bug report about the first bug and test the other bug ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Observer martin336
Observer

Jump to solution

I can set breakpoint through TLC command. But I still miss the old 'reakpoint t'bar.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

It is still available when viewing the source file in 2015.4 as shown in the attached screenshot.

Regards,
Randy

breakpoint.PNG
0 Kudos
Observer martin336
Observer

Jump to solution

No, it is not available. The following picture is step-by-step debugging layout after the simulation was done (it seems like the most likely scenario for the breakpoint toolbar to appear). Actually, both of my Vivados (2014.4 and 2015.4) are missing this, EVEN THOUGH I have used that a few days ago. Could I terribly misclick something and turn it off ? I have gone through the Simulation settings and I havent found anythin related to breakpoints.

step-by-ste view

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Maybe it has to do with the contents of the source file you are viewing? Here is another screenshot from my system. You can see one VHDL file has the breakpoints, and the other does not.

Regards,
Randy

breakpoints_2.PNG
0 Kudos
Observer martin336
Observer

Jump to solution

I have checked all the vivados, all the files in the current project. None of them has breakpoint bar. Could you find out how Vivado "decides" whether to include the breakpoints or not ?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

There are few stuff that you need to look at

1> Debug level is set to typical in elaboration tab under simulation setting

2> Break-point is set to active statement only. After changing the debug level, click on any scope, you should see the red circle 

3> Make sure the file you are using have write permission.

With above three points, you should see the break-point.

--dhiRAj

0 Kudos
Observer martin336
Observer

Jump to solution

1. Yes, it is "typical" (I have tried "all" as well, restarting Vivado) 

2. Do you mean executable code ? Whatever file I open from Scope tab (right next to Source tab), no change.

3. I am running Windows 7 as administrator (usually not bothered with permissions) and the files I open are NOT read-only. I can edit them and save them.

0 Kudos
Observer martin336
Observer

Jump to solution
Restoring the settings to default values doesnt help either.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

It's very unlikely. Can you share your design as well as snapshot of Vivado simulation running where text editor is open.

--dhiRAj

0 Kudos
Observer martin336
Observer

Jump to solution

Some progeress even though I have no clue what is happening. I have created a new project, used the very same testbench code, WITHOUT instantiating the tested module (just testbench file generating clock and reset signal) and the breakpoint toolbar is available. On the other hand, when I run the original project (testbench file instantiates the tested module) the toolbar is not available. All settings are the same ! 

I cant attach the project, is is too big even when packed as rar. The picture shows the difference between both projects (above mentioned testbench files)

PICTURE: http://imgur.com/lH2yRkP

0 Kudos
Observer martin336
Observer

Jump to solution
One more thing, I cant set breakpoint in instantiated module, only to testbench file (by TLC command as mentioned before). Does Vivado has problems with instantiated modules ? (in general). Ia m using VHDL 87 way of instantiation (explicitly introducing module with all ports, and then instantiating the module and its port map)
0 Kudos
Observer martin336
Observer

Jump to solution

Could someone create a project with following files (in Vivado 2015.4 OR 2014.4) and check whether there are breakpoints after simulation ? 

More specific: Whether there is breakpoint toolbar visible (next to the line numbers in text editor) when either of the files is opened in Vivado after Behavioral simulation.

Please post the screen-shot and Vivado version. Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
Observer martin336
Observer

Jump to solution

Reminder.

All the files need to be copied to project by Vivado for breapoints to be enabled. I have files sourced from folder right next to project_folder. That caused files to be not recognized as part of the project, even though the file was listed in the sources of the project in Vivado Source tab.

Bug.

IP PACKAGER DOESNT PROVIDE BREAKPOINT TOOLBAR. When repackaging IP the breakpoint toolbar disappears from GUI. 

Another possible bug (I need to test it a little bit more).

Capital letters in path or IP name cause vivado to not recognize it when placing breakpoints through TLC command in IP Packager. The path nor the name has spaces " " , just "_" and "."

Could someone file a bug report about the first bug and test the other bug ?

0 Kudos