Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Modelsim crashes after launch

Jump to solution

Modelsim SE-64 10.1b crashes soon after launch while it is loading my design.  It reports error code 211, but there are no details explaining the crash in the transcript windows or logs.   The crash always occurs just after Modelsim reports it is loading unisims_ver.BUFG as shown in the following log snippet:

# do {tb_RCVR_FPGA_TOP_simulate.do}
# vsim -L unisims_ver -L unimacro_ver -L secureip -L lib_pkg_v1_0 -L fifo_generator_v12_0 -L lib_fifo_v1_0 -L blk_mem_gen_v8_2 -L lib_bmg_v1_0 -L axi_pcie_v2_6 -L xil_defaultlib -L lib_cdc_v1_0 -L proc_sys_reset_v5_0 -L generic_baseblocks_v2_1 -L axi_infrastructure_v1_1 -L axi_register_slice_v2_1 -L axi_data_fifo_v2_1 -L axi_crossbar_v2_1 -L axi_protocol_converter_v2_1 -L axi_clock_converter_v2_1 -L axi_dwidth_converter_v2_1 -L xbip_utils_v3_0 -L axi_utils_v2_0 -L xbip_pipe_v3_0 -L xbip_bram18k_v3_0 -L mult_gen_v12_0 -L cmpy_v6_0 -L c_reg_fd_v12_0 -L xbip_dsp48_wrapper_v3_0 -L xbip_dsp48_addsub_v3_0 -L xbip_addsub_v3_0 -L c_addsub_v12_0 -L xbip_dsp48_acc_v3_0 -L xbip_accum_v3_0 -L c_accum_v12_0 -L cordic_v6_0 -lib xil_defaultlib -voptargs=\"+acc\" -t 1ps xil_defaultlib.tb_RCVR_FPGA_TOP xil_defaultlib.glbl
# Loading std.standard
# Loading std.textio(body)

# Loading axi_pcie_v2_6.axi_pcie_v2_6_pcie_7x_v2_0_2_gt_top
# Loading axi_pcie_v2_6.axi_pcie_v2_6_pcie_7x_v2_0_2_pipe_wrapper
# Loading unisims_ver.BUFG

< Modelsim crashes at this point with error code 211>

My tool versions are:

Vivado 2015.2

Modelsim SE 64-bit, 10.1b

I've defined the path to the Modelsim executable in the Vivado GUI > Tools > Options

The Modelsim libaries were compiled using Vivado GUI > Tools > Compile Simulation Libraries

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Modelsim crashes after launch

Jump to solution

Hi @kinkeads

is Simulation with Vivado simulator(Xsim) working fine?

The supported modelsim version to be used with vivado 2015,2 is Mentor Graphic ModelSim SE/DE/PE (10.3d) and above.

Usage of suppoprted version is especially important while using xilinx IPs in your design.

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @kinkeads

is Simulation with Vivado simulator(Xsim) working fine?

The supported modelsim version to be used with vivado 2015,2 is Mentor Graphic ModelSim SE/DE/PE (10.3d) and above.

Usage of suppoprted version is especially important while using xilinx IPs in your design.

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Yes, the Vivado simulator works.   I'll try updating Modelsim to 10.3d and report back.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @kinkeads

Are things ok with the supported version of Modelsim?

Thanks
Bharath
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
To run the new version of Modelsim requires an update to the Flexlm licensing software on our servers. I'm waiting on our I.T. dept to install the update. In the meantime, I'm using Vivado Xsim. I'll report back once I get licensing issue sorted out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
As it is a Modelsim Crash, I would recommend posting the same on a Mentor Graphics forum also. If you can provide dumps then they should be able to help.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I upgrading to Modelsim SE 10.3d and everything works fine now. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos