UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

One Shot Vivado simulation 2016.2

Hi, This is my first post . I am experiencing issues with the Vivado simulator hope you can help.

The issue is:

I have generated some VHDL and a test bench which runs once and gives me a simulation waveform great no problem. however after closing the simulation using the TCL command close_sim. the simulation will not run again giving error message ERROR: [XSIM 43-3345] Unable to remove previous simulation file xsim.dir..... if I then do synthesis I can again run once the post synthesis functional and timing simulation before I get the same error message. then running implementation also gives me a single go at post implementation functional and timing simulation. Are there any known work around for this? Please note that powering off the PC and restarting will not help with this issue. what can I try next? 

I have attached a copy of the TCL log for a working and non working simulation cycle.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: One Shot Vivado simulation 2016.2

you can try running the vivado using administrative privilege. you may try deleting manually xsim.dir from temp folder or project folder
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mike.kowalczuk,

Can you try simulating a vivado example project? Is the same behavior seen?

Thanks,

Srimayee

0 Kudos

Hi @mike.kowalczuk,

This problem might be due to not properly ending of the previous simulation before running a new one.

To work around this, find the file in the sim folder and delete it manually and still if you are unable to delete it.

Close Vivado and delete it. Now, open vivado and run simulation.

Hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards,

A.Shameer.

0 Kudos

Hi @mike.kowalczuk,

If manually deleting the file do not help then can you try by ending the xsimk.exe process using Task manager and run the simulation.

xsim.JPG

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sravanthi B

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Hi,  I have tried to delete the file as an windows 10 administrator - windows will not let me do it saying it is being used by another program . Restarting the PC will kill the task from the task manager (but there was no task running in the task manager I closed everything related to Vivado). Still could not delete the file even after PC startup.

on pc Startup  and entry into Vivado the simulator comes up in the locked out mode. If you know a way of killing the file as a windows administrator please advise.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos

Hi,  I have run an example project the wave_gen and yes this has the same behaviour however on the first run I did get an error message -- a bit meaningless to me but the message was :-

boost::filesystem::remove: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: "C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Roaming/Xilinx/Vivado/.Xil/Vivado- 13220-MikeK/ss13220.1783551835120.log"

0 Kudos

Hi 

Have not managed to solve the problem and still struggling- any help would be welcome? 

The setup is a stand alone PC running windows10, only one user active so by default running with full windows admin rights. Should have the permission to delete the file, however I have tried most things including resetting permission to the file but cannot change it seems that the pc name not the current administrator is the owner of the file?  - is this a result of a windows update changing the permissions?

0 Kudos

Hi @mike.kowalczuk,

I have tried to replicate the issue that you are reporting but have been unable to do so.

Vivado expects full write permissions on all directories containing files that need to be edited, as per User Guide 973

Can you try starting Vivado with Admin permissions and see if the issue is still present?

Best Regards
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
0 Kudos
Newbie mrae

I am seeing the same behavior with Vivado 2016.4 on a Windows 10 PC. I first saw the issue in ISE, moved my project to Vivado and see the same behavior. The first Simulation run works fine, I am not able to rerun a simulation.

I have the WebPak license for both ISE and Vivado.

I am able to add a new Simlation set and run 1 time, but this is very inefficient.

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos

Hi , 

Its not unexpected that you cannot recreate the problem, when I first installed Vivado 2015 on this Windows 8 machine as it was then, I then converted to windows 10 and a year later installed Vivado 2016 all this time Vivado worked correctly without the issues I see today. I have not changed the setup in any way or run the program in any other manner (like as different user) - admittedly all the work during the years that it worked correctly I was using generic VHDL only - it is only recently that I have started to use Xilinx specific features like the XADC, RAM, DDR, Adders and multipliers. This may be coincidence or unfamiliarity with these building blocks however I have certainly been getting a lot more of these oddities and Error messages recently.

I have just downloaded and installed 2017.2 in a new directory structure and created a new project devoid of anything to do with the previous installation. Running this project in 2017.2 the same problem sill occurs ( one shot simulation ) - so I can conclude that a new install will not overwrite or correct this bug! operating with windows 10 run as administrator for the executable makes no difference

I have also tried to run as administrator a dos command prompt and use takeown and del the xsimk file and again I get "access denied" however all the other files in that director takeown works fine and I have full control of these.  any more ideas? I am Happy to continue working to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Mike 

0 Kudos

Hi,

This looks like the same problem - glad that I am not the only one with this issue.

I have just upgraded to 2017.2 WebPack and the problem moves with the install -so no joy there.

Are you happy to share, when this problem first started and anything you have already tried to resolve this issue?

Could this issue be linked to a time and therefore a windows upgrade or the use of a particular package I think I first saw the issue running a XADC or DSP filter instantiation?  

Mike  

0 Kudos

Hi,

A few weeks later now and still no joy!

As per mrae  post generating a new Sim every time is a very laborious work around and a little wasteful of hard disc space (all the old iterations cannot be deleted). 

What is the best way to resolve this issue?

Is there a Xilinx technical support route I can follow?

Thanks

Mike  

0 Kudos
Newbie pej

Hi

I know this is any old post but I hit the same problem.

I closed down Vivado completely and then ran task manager and killed any app which was associated with vivado and it worked.

0 Kudos