Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

RADIX disabled for Integer Signals

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a signal of type "integer range 0 to maxxx" and try to define the radix in ISIM to "decimal", but "radix"

is grayed/disabled. Hm, seems like an error..

jotta

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
edv
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jotta,

We apologize for the inconvenience.  Currently ISim does not support changing radix of objects of type integer.  This feature will be added in a future update of ISE Design Suite.

Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Edit: I use WebPack 11.5
0 Kudos
edv
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jotta,

We apologize for the inconvenience.  Currently ISim does not support changing radix of objects of type integer.  This feature will be added in a future update of ISE Design Suite.

Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this info, thought that I made something wrong.

A simple solution is to useunsigned/signed signals in the testbench.

Thanks

jotta

0 Kudos
davidgander
Visitor
Visitor

In ISE/ISIM 12.1 you still can't change an integer's radix by right clicking, however it seems to work if you use tcl scripts...

wave add -radix unsigned /path/to/integer

Dave

Tags (1)
jimbalaia
Visitor
Visitor

You can also select mutiple items, and if the radix of one of the selected items can be modified, you can modify the radix of all the items.  So i just select all the integers and one std_logic_vector, change the radix to unsigned decimal, then re-select the std_logic_vector and change the radix back.

beppe
Visitor
Visitor

No change in 13.1. Is this by design or is it a bug?

/B

0 Kudos
sdaau
Observer
Observer
Hola,

@beppe wrote:

No change in 13.1. Is this by design or is it a bug?

/B

Using 13.2, and while the GUI still doesn't work - the command line in message 5:

... works fine for me. (note to self: to find the path, place the signal once in viewer, right-click and choose Show Drivers - this will also dump the path to the signal, so you'll know what to paste in as a command in the terminal... Then delete the signal from viewer, and add it again but this time from the command line).

Cheers!

0 Kudos
mapedd
Adventurer
Adventurer

in 13.4 still if you have to change radix of the integer signal you have to make it through console :(

Nevertheless thanks for this tip, and to  Xilinx: better solve it problem soon !

0 Kudos
thirdeye
Explorer
Explorer

@mapedd wrote:

in 13.4 still if you have to change radix of the integer signal you have to make it through console :(

Nevertheless thanks for this tip, and to  Xilinx: better solve it problem soon !

Yeah 14.6 still has this bug. I think Xilinx wants to keep ISE crappy so that people will buy Vivado. How minor bugs like this persist through years of tool revisions I cannot fathom, but oh well. Impact is buggy and annoying and yet seemingly identical to the 9.x version I started on 6+ years ago. I am impressed with the abilities of the tools and unimpressed by the user experience.

The "select another signal that is a std_logic_vector and the integer signal and then change the radix" solution worked for me. Glad to have a work around. If it really is that easy I am confused why the Xilinx developers not fix that across multiple ISE versions.

0 Kudos
bassman59
Historian
Historian

@thirdeye wrote:

Yeah 14.6 still has this bug. I think Xilinx wants to keep ISE crappy so that people will buy Vivado. How minor bugs like this persist through years of tool revisions I cannot fathom, but oh well. 

It's well known that as soon as Vivado was first released, Xilinx' interest in improving anything with XST and ISIM vanished.

Now that XST and ISIM are deprecated, uh, in "maintenance mode," these issues will never be addressed. And of course Vivado is a non-starter for those of us still using non-Series 7 devices. Complaining here is theraputic but ultimately pointless.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos