Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Simulation error on example design for AXI Data Width Converter IP

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to report this ...

I'm getting a simulation tool error (ERROR: [XSIM 43-3225]) on an example design for AXI Data Width Converter IP. Strangely enough, an example design for AXI Data FIFO IP simulates without problem. I can't tell why one works and the other doesn't. Anyhow ... here's the log with the error. If anyone can shed light on this I'd be very grateful.
PaulD   

Vivado Simulator 2015.1
Copyright 1986-1999, 2001-2015 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Running: C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2015.1/bin/unwrapped/win64.o/xelab.exe -wto b7aa771abeec4f278f44a2c31c666ef7 --debug typical --relax --mt 2 --include ../../../axis_dwidth_converter_0_example.srcs/sources_1/ip/axis_dwidth_converter_0/axis_infrastructure_v1_1/hdl/verilog -L lib_cdc_v1_0 -L proc_sys_reset_v5_0 -L xil_defaultlib -L axis_infrastructure_v1_1 -L axis_register_slice_v1_1 -L axis_dwidth_converter_v1_1 -L unisims_ver -L unimacro_ver -L secureip --snapshot exdes_tb_behav xil_defaultlib.exdes_tb xil_defaultlib.glbl -log elaborate.log
Using 2 slave threads.
ERROR: [XSIM 43-3225] Cannot find design unit xil_defaultlib.exdes_tb in library work located at xsim.dir/work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Simulation error on example design for AXI Data Width Converter IP

Jump to solution

Hello @prdorrell,

I can see two files in below folder <project_directory>/axi_dwidth_converter_0_example/axi_dwidth_converter_0_example.srcs/sources_1/ip/axi_dwidth_converter_0/axi_register_slice_v2_1/hdl/verilog/

The files are 

axi_register_slice_v2_1_axi_register_slice.v

axi_register_slice_v2_1_axic_register_slice.v

and when I just changed the path of header file in axi_register_slice_v2_1_axi_register_slice.v at line #211, simulation worked for me.

Anyways we can conclude that finding the path of header file was the issue. Once you provide absolute path, the simulator is able to pick it and complete the simulation.

Currently you can proceed with this workaround. As I mentioned, CR is filed for this issue and appropriate enhancements will be made in future release.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @prdorrell,

Yes, I am able to reproduce this issue with Vivado 2015.1 XSIM simulator. I will investigate this problem and update the thread further.

One more observation here is the problem seems to be OS specific. I am able to simulate example design successfully on linux OS. Problem is with Windows-7 64 bit. 

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello @prdorrell,

Can you attach the xci file to the post? I tried it with Vivado 2015.1 on windows 64 bit and with default values on axi datawidth converter everthing worked fine.

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Syed and Ashishd,

Thanks for your interest in my problem. I'm attaching the xci file

Regards

PaulD

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Trying again to add an attachment ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Trying again to attach file using Chrome browser instead on Internet Explorer ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
OK, so there is a problem using Internet Explorer to send attachments ... but Chrome works!

My customization of axis_dwidth_converter is very simple:
108, 4 No, No, Yes, 0, 0, 0, No
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @prdorrell,

To workaround this issue, open axi_register_slice_v2_1_axi_register_slice.v file in any text editor outside vivado and save the file after adding complete path of axi_infrastructure_v1_1_header.vh header at line #211. Now run Behavioral Simulation.

I have filed CR to include this information about error message in the generated log files.

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

A further piece of information for you: I tried another axis_dwidth_converter customization, this time accepting all the default parameter settings. The exmple project still gives the same simulation error:

ERROR: [XSIM 43-3225] Cannot find design unit xil_defaultlib.exdes_tb in library work located at xsim.dir/work.

PaulD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello Ashish,

I tried your workaround but had problems. 

1) There isn't a file called axi_register_slice_v2_1_axi_register_slice.v ... but there is a similarly named one called axis_register_slice_v1_1_axis_register_slice.v. 

2) You mentioned the file axi_infrastructure_v1_1_header.vh ... but there isn't one in the project.

3) At line  #132 of  axis_register_slice_v1_1_axis_register_slice.v. there is an include line:

`include "axis_infrastructure_v1_1_axis_infrastructure.vh"

I changed this line to have an absolute path (206 characters long) ... and tried simulation ... and got the same error message as before.

4) I then did a string search for all occurences of the same include line in any .v file in the project ... and changed them for absolute paths ... ... and tried simulation ... and this time it worked.

I'm going to repeat the workaround on a new project because I'm not sure if all the changes I made were necessary.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello Ashish,

I've now repeat the workaround on a new project ... making changes to 7 verilog files giving them absolute paths to the verilog header file ... and simulation now runs.

Is there not an easier way to do this? I'm thinking of a serach path directive for finding verilog header files.

Kind regards

PaulD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @prdorrell,

I can see two files in below folder <project_directory>/axi_dwidth_converter_0_example/axi_dwidth_converter_0_example.srcs/sources_1/ip/axi_dwidth_converter_0/axi_register_slice_v2_1/hdl/verilog/

The files are 

axi_register_slice_v2_1_axi_register_slice.v

axi_register_slice_v2_1_axic_register_slice.v

and when I just changed the path of header file in axi_register_slice_v2_1_axi_register_slice.v at line #211, simulation worked for me.

Anyways we can conclude that finding the path of header file was the issue. Once you provide absolute path, the simulator is able to pick it and complete the simulation.

Currently you can proceed with this workaround. As I mentioned, CR is filed for this issue and appropriate enhancements will be made in future release.

Regards,
Ashish

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

The vivado xsim commond 'xvlog' can't find include file 'axis_infrastructure_v1_1_0_axis_infrastructure.vh' while compile the file axis_register_slice_v1_1_axis_register_slice.v, because the .vh file path's length is too long. 

The simplest way to fix this problem is:

1)copy axis_infrastructure_v1_1_0_axis_infrastructure.vh file to the sim folder: project_name.sim\sim_1\behav\

2)In vivado simulation tab: don't clean up sim files in order not to delete the .vh file

3) launch simlulation...

This is OK for me when compile the aurora 64/66 ip example using vivado 2016.2 

asdf.png
0 Kudos