cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luis
Visitor
Visitor

Simulator 45-7 No such file with Vivado 2020.2

I'm running in Ubuntu. There are no spaces on any of the files or paths, as I've seen other users having issues with spaces. And this particular error does not happen the first time I run the simulator. The first time it works fine (BTW, 2020.2 is a big improvement over previous years, thanks!) The error happens if I make a change to the code and then hit relaunch simulation. If finishes elaboration and then, when the simulator starts, it prints:

INFO: [USF-XSim-69] 'elaborate' step finished in '61' seconds
launch_simulation: Time (s): cpu = 00:01:25 ; elapsed = 00:01:02 . Memory (MB): peak = 7418.535 ; gain = 0.000 ; free physical = 908 ; free virtual = 8291
Vivado Simulator 2020.2
Time resolution is 1 ps
ERROR: [Simulator 45-7] No such file '/home/luis/Projects/MechPropsTest/Sources/hdl/MechanicalProperties.vhd/home/luis/Projects/MechPropsTest/Sources/hdl/MechanicalProperties.vhd' in the design.
ERROR: [Common 17-69] Command failed: ERROR: [Simulator 45-7] No such file '/home/luis/Projects/MechPropsTest/Sources/hdl/MechanicalProperties.vhd/home/luis/Projects/MechPropsTest/Sources/hdl/MechanicalProperties.vhd' in the design.

So it looks like it appends the file path to itself and you get a completely nonexistent path. I've grepped all the project files and there is no such entry anywhere I can find, so it must be done at runtime. I have a work-around that I found in another topic, I just delete the MechPropsTest.sim/sim_1/behav/xsim folder and all its contents and then the simulation runs fine again. But it's kind of a pain.

Is there another place I could submit a bug report, or is posting on this forum enough?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
luis
Visitor
Visitor

Well, it fixed itself, I can't reproduce it any longer. I don't think I changed anything other than VHDL code ... weird

0 Kudos
graces

Thanks for the feedback and follow-up. It sounds an intermittent issue caused by some temp files.

Anyway, if you can reproduce it, please share a test case.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
karl

I have been struggling with the same type of error for two days in 2020.2. It seems it has to do with breakpoints.
I did not delete the entire ...xsim folder like Luis. I did:
1) Closed Vivado.
2) Deleted ...xsim/xsim.dir/tb_top_behav/TempBreakPointFile.txt
3) Opened Vivado and started the simulation again.
And now it works again.
Of course tb_top_behav is the name of my simulation, so you most likely have another folder name.

bmusicus
Visitor
Visitor

I had the same issue.  Deleting the TempBreakPointFile.txt for the top level module that provoked the error message fixed the problem for me also.  Good workaround!  I hope Xilinx fixes this in the next release.

0 Kudos
bmusicus
Visitor
Visitor

This problem happens to me frequently when debugging certain testbench scripts.  Here is a streamlined process that works for me.  While debugging during simulation, each time I edit the source and want to relaunch simulation I do the following:
1) Leave Vivado 2020.2 running
2) Delete the ...xsim/xsim.dir/XXX_behav/TempBreakPointFile.txt file.
3) Click on the Relaunch Simulation button.  All your breakpoints will be deleted but simulation will restart without the error message
4) Make sure there is a $stop() near the start of your simulation.  When simulation reaches this, setup all your breakpoints again.
5) Click Continue and look for the next bug
This works for me, though resetting the breakpoints over and over is really annoying.

bmusicus
Visitor
Visitor

I found a better fix.  To avoid the bug when you edit source code text and have multiple breakpoints set and want to relaunch the simulator:

1) Leave Vivado 2020.2 running
2) Find a breakpoint, right-click on the red breakpoint indicator and delete all breakpoints
3) Click on the Relaunch Simulation button.  All your breakpoints will be gone but simulation will restart without the error message
4) Make sure there is a $stop() near the start of your simulation.  When simulation reaches this, setup all your breakpoints again.
5) Click Continue and look for the next bug
Still annoying

0 Kudos