Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anm
Adventurer
Adventurer

Strategy to assert combinations of signal values from VCD file inside QuestaSim

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a complex design of a processor which I am trying to understand/modify.
For this, I have implemented an ILA core inside it to monitor several of its internal signals.
I am capturing waveforms of those signals (for example 4096 samples) and output them in VCD format.
I am then loading the VCD files inside QuestaSim for further analysis.

I was wondering if there is a smart way to create assertion markers inside QuestaSim, that will point to the sample where an event happens.
For example signal a and signal b are both '1' on sample X, so I want a marker to show up on the top of my waveform on the Xth sample.
This will greatly help me understand certain events happening inside the processor design. It is hard to manually inspect through all those signals and samples, so I believe there should a more elegant way to achieve that.

Can anyone please point me on how to achieve the above?

I am using Vivado 2019.2 and QuestaSim 10.7g on Centos 7.

Thank you in advance for your responses and time!

Kind regards,
anm

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anm
Adventurer
Adventurer

I got a response about that from Mentor's Support, so I thought I should share.

Unfortunately there is no such feature for assertion markers in QuestaSim when it comes to combinations of signal values inside a VCD file.
However, what they suggested was to use the built-in "Expression Builder" and use the respective forward/reverse buttons to jump to the multiple matching expression patterns.
What I also did to help me have an overview of all the interest points in my waveform window, was to use the built-in "Virtual Builder" to create a new "guide" signal from the combination of all the signals of interest.
This new "guide" signal basically acts as the assertion markers I wanted.

I will leave this open for a couple of days, in case anyone else wants to provide valuable feedback.

Kind regards,
anm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
anm
Adventurer
Adventurer

I got a response about that from Mentor's Support, so I thought I should share.

Unfortunately there is no such feature for assertion markers in QuestaSim when it comes to combinations of signal values inside a VCD file.
However, what they suggested was to use the built-in "Expression Builder" and use the respective forward/reverse buttons to jump to the multiple matching expression patterns.
What I also did to help me have an overview of all the interest points in my waveform window, was to use the built-in "Virtual Builder" to create a new "guide" signal from the combination of all the signals of interest.
This new "guide" signal basically acts as the assertion markers I wanted.

I will leave this open for a couple of days, in case anyone else wants to provide valuable feedback.

Kind regards,
anm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos