UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

USR_ACCESSE2 model returns 'uuuu' in simulation --> a bit user unfriendly

I use the

set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.USR_ACCESS TIMESTAMP [current_design]

mechanism to have a build timestamp in the bit file and use

USR_ACCESSE2

to read the value and make it avaialble on a diagnostic and control bus system in my designs.

The simulation model, at least the vhdl model USR_ACCESSE2.vhd, only returns 'uuuu...'.

Untreated that would create havoc in many simulations, the controls bus engines in general don't like undefines.

I have a catcher in my system, that writes an error message, and continues with an all '0' word.

To get even rid of this distraction I finally packed USR_ACCESSE2 into a wrapper which maps all 'u' and 'x' to '0'. Works now fine for simulation and synthesis.

What I wonder though is why the USR_ACCESSE2 UNISIM model is done in such an, imho, user unfriendly way. The implementation is simply

architecture USR_ACCESSE2_V of USR_ACCESSE2 is
     signal CFGCLK_out : std_ulogic;
     signal DATAVALID_out : std_ulogic;
     signal DATA_out : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);
  begin

CFGCLK <= CFGCLK_out; 
    DATA <= DATA_out;
    DATAVALID <= DATAVALID_out;

end USR_ACCESSE2_V;

so it simply returns uninitialized signals, thus (other=>'u').

What I'd love to have is a more simulation friendly behaviour, e.g. with a generic which allow to specify what the entiry returns in a simulation run.

Tags (2)
2 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: USR_ACCESSE2 model returns 'uuuu' in simulation --> a bit user unfriendly

To be more precise:

• why isn't there a SIM_.... generic which allows to setup a decent simulation behaviour.
  • that's done on several other cases, SPI_ACCESS is an example.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: USR_ACCESSE2 model returns 'uuuu' in simulation --> a bit user unfriendly

3 years after the initial post, after 8000+ page views and a kudo, this simple module is still in the 'a bit user unfriendly' state. It is apparently too trivial to fix it. That's so sad.

0 Kudos