UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Unable to start ModelSim GUI in ISE 14.7 (Windows 7 x64)

Checked console message as well as transcript.

It looks simulation went through as expected, just don't see GUI, command prompt pops and disappears briefly.

ISE Console message:

INFO: Automatic do files created successfully.

Launching ModelSim GUI ...
Modelsim GUI launched successfully
Process Simulate Behavioral Model setup completed successfully, the GUI will be up in a moment.

I could do simulation by manually starting vsim, and run the .fdo script.

Thanks for your attention,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: Unable to start ModelSim GUI in ISE 14.7 (Windows 7 x64)

@legendbb,

Hope you are using Modelsim 10.2a and above with ISE 14.7 as they are the supported version.

Also check the modelsim status in Application section from Windows task manager.

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for reply, I am dealing with ModelSim 10.4 SE. I can tell it ran by reading the script. Just GUI never pops up, command prompt flashes briefly. Don't see any ModelSim stuff in Windows Task Manager. But it ran, based on transcript.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @legendbb

Are you able to invoke modelsim GUI standalone?

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Yes, I can run ModelSim standalone and do the *.fdo script without any issue.

Just not sure when ISE is used to call vsim, which modelsim.ini it uses. I have two, one in modelsim installation folder one in compiled library folder. But both have valid settings.

I will try new installation on a different machine when I have time.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @legendbb

It uses compiled library location modelsim.ini if you have set the compile library location correctly in simulation properties.

Otherwise, it will check present working directory or the location that was set to MODELSIM environmental variable (if set)

Thanks,
Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Same thing on another machine, not able to see GUI.

It seems ModelSim runs properly in script mode, but ISE can't bring up the GUI.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @legendbb

Did you try running simulation in modelsim when invoked in stanalone mode?

Thanks,

Vinay

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

ModelSim standalone works perfectly.

0 Kudos

Can you try lauching Vivado from tcl shell and see if it helps?

Also, check if the path to simulator is provided properly.

Thanks,
Nupur
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos