Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsmithsrc
Adventurer
Adventurer

Using output of export_simulation with Riviera for compilation of IP libraries

Jump to solution

I have a Vivado Project with an IPI block diagram. I am attempting to utilize export_simulation in order to export source files and compilation script (compile.do) so I can create libraries to utilize with Riviera.

Setup:

• Vivado 2016.2
  • Riviera 2015.10
  • Simulation Language set to VHDL
  • Design validates, and all output products have been generated, OOC per IP

From what I gather, from the release notes of 2016.2, this is the Xilinx supported combination of tools.

The export process appears to work correctly, but the compilation script does not work. Specifically, I see the following in the compile.do file:

# Creating Libraries <omitted>
... # Mapping libraries <omitted>
... vlog -work xil_defaultlib -v2k5 -sv "+incdir+<omitted> \ "srcs/xpm_cdc.sv" \ "srcs/xpm_memory_base.sv" \ "srcs/xpm_memory_dpdistram.sv" \ "srcs/xpm_memory_dprom.sv" \ "srcs/xpm_memory_sdpram.sv" \ "srcs/xpm_memory_spram.sv" \ "srcs/xpm_memory_sprom.sv" \ "srcs/xpm_memory_tdpram.sv" \

This line does not work. It appears to be a syntax related issue. I get many verilog compilation errors, some of which are similar to the following line:

ALOG: Error: VCP1004 <path omitted>/xpm_cdc.sv : (179, 116): String constant is not closed by double quote.

I took a look to see what the two flags mean.

• Flag -v2k5: Forces the compiler to conform to IEEE Std 1364™-2005. SystemVerilog extensions are not allowed.
  • Flag -sv: This flag is not documented, but I don't see alog rejecting the flag outright (perhaps it is a legacy flag?)

As a possible work-around, I tried the -sv2k5 flag instead of -v2k5 and -sv. The number of errors were reduced, and now have errors like:

ALOG: Error: VCP2000 <path omitted>/xpm_cdc.sv : (190, 5): Syntax error. Unexpected token: action block statement.

When using -sv2k9 flag, compilation seems to get further, but ultimate dies with cryptic message:

ALOG: Error: VCP0120 Internal unknown error occurred.

For reference, the export_simulation command I am using looks something like this:

export_simulation -simulator riviera -absolute_path -32bit -directory <path omitted>/vivado_export_ip/ -lib_map_path <path omitted>/simlib/2016.2_R2015.10_32/library.cfg -of_objects [get_files core.bd] -export_source_files -force -use_ip_compiled_libs

Another issue I have been having, which I am not sure if it is related or not, is referencing the IP compiled libraries (generated with compile_simlib) does not seem to have any effect on the output scripts. I can't find any reference to these libraries in the output files. This causes issues during VHDL compilation (which follows after the failing verilog compilation in the compile.do script). I have tried both specifying the directory containing libraries and the library.cfg file itself, neither of which seems to have any effect.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jsmithsrc
Adventurer
Adventurer

After consulting with Aldec, I have confirmed that the sv files in question can be successfully compiled with 2016.06 version of their product.

To compile successfully, I needed to use the flag -sv2k9 instead of -v2k5 -sv

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vemulad
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jsmithsrc

The xpm related files need not be compiled, you can remove them from the script file.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
jsmithsrc
Adventurer
Adventurer

Can I expect that the xpm files will not be exported in the future, then? e.g. this is a bug that needs to be fixed?

It is inconvenient to have to manually remove these files from compilation script. I was hoping to use a scripted flow to first export sources from vivado and then run the exported compile.do in Riviera without intervention.

Any thoughts on the second issue? That the pre-compiled libraries (e.g. UNISIM) are not being mapped in prior to the compilation process as part of the script?

0 Kudos
vemulad
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Yes, there is a CR already in place to remove xpm related files in the generated scripts.

Regarding your second query, refer to page-129 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_1/ug900-vivado-logic-simulation.pdf

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
jsmithsrc
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks, I see that library.cfg (used by Riviera) is generated by the compilation of simulation libraries feature.

Do I need to manually reference this with Riviera when using compile.do?

If so, what function does -lib_map_path and -use_ip_compiled_libs arguments to export_simulation serve?

0 Kudos
jsmithsrc
Adventurer
Adventurer

After consulting with Aldec, I have confirmed that the sv files in question can be successfully compiled with 2016.06 version of their product.

To compile successfully, I needed to use the flag -sv2k9 instead of -v2k5 -sv

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
vijayak
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jsmithsrc

Thanks for posting the answer. Please close the thread by marking the solution in the interest of other users.

PS: We suggest the customers to contact Aldec (which is mentioned in the release notes.) for issues related to Riviera.

Thanks,Vijay
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
Capture.JPG
0 Kudos