UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

VHDL Falling_edge, in detail

Dear forum,

I faced a surprising situation while writing reactive VHDL code for Vivado 2014.4 simulator use, where

qqq'event and '0' = qqq is true;

'1' = qqq'last_value and '0' = qqq is true;

but  falling_edge(qqq) is false.

(signal qqq: std_logic is in the sensitivity list of current process, not altered by the process failing to see the falling_edge)

Just looking at the simulator traces, the signal makes a plain normal one-to-zero transition.

To my knowledge, falling_edge should be true when there is event, last value is one and value is zero.

What have I missed? What is needed for a falling edge in addition to event, last_value=one, and value=zero?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: VHDL Falling_edge, in detail

Your check is correct and I am expecting falling_edge to return TRUE but as it's not happening in your case, I would suggest to do following

1> Have you included any other package apart from std_logic_1164? If yes, then what are those and if it contain any uder defined package then you may check if those package contains any overloaded form of falling_edge or not

2> You can check one more thing by writing following piece of code in process which is sensitive to qqq

process(qqq)

begin

report "value of signal qqq at last event was "&std_logic'image(qqq'last_event)& " and at present is "&std_logic'image(qqq);

report boolean'image(qqq'event and (To_X01(qqq) = '0') AND (To_X01(qqq'LAST_VALUE) = '1'));

end process;

And share the o/p. If it's still showing FALSE then would like to see your design as I am suspective some race condition(unlikely) or wrong usage(very likely).

--dhiRAj

Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi, dprasad,

Thanks for the quick answer.

1) I am including ieee.std_logic_arith in addition to ieee.std_logic_1164.

2) Are you sure you wanted last_event? I took the liberty to add last_value to the above code, resulting the following:

process (qqq)
  begin
    report "value of signal qqq at last event "&time'image(qqq'last_event)& " was " & std_logic'image(qqq'last_value) &" and at present is "&std_logic'image(qqq);
    report "qqq " & boolean'image(qqq'event and (To_X01(qqq) = '0') AND (To_X01(qqq'LAST_VALUE) = '1'));
    report "qqq-cont " & boolean'image(falling_edge(qqq));
  end process;

The reports are:

Note: value of signal qqq at last event 0 ps was '1' and at present is '0'
Note: qqq true
Note: qqq-cont false

The project with a problem is rather large. So-far I have not able to extract the problem into a small-enough chunk that could be posted to this forum. I too find an "user error" to be a possible cause, but I do not have the tools to proceed.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Very surprising as both 

report "qqq " & boolean'image(qqq'event and (To_X01(qqq) = '0') AND (To_X01(qqq'LAST_VALUE) = '1'));
report "qqq-cont " & boolean'image(falling_edge(qqq));

are interanally same. 

Even if it's big design, will it be possible to share that. I can look at it. I am suspecting something very simple thing is going on which we are not able to foresee.

--dhiRAj

Adventurer
Adventurer

This is not a hobby project; sharing it with a "nice guy at the internet" might be bureaucratically challenging. I appreciate your help a lot despite these restrictions!

For the sake of better understanding, I copied the falling-edge function from Vivado/2014.4/data/vhdl/src/ieee/distributable/std_logic_1164.vhd into a locally-defined "phalling_edge". The outcome of this test was that phalling_edge was also true, falling_edge still remained false.

I cannot find any refefinitions of falling_edge. There are, however, some encrypted IP blocks in use elsewhere in the project. Is there a way to query Vivado regarding where has it picked the falling_edge in use from??

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In VHDL, we don't have any concept of dumping hierarchy. I tried very simple example like

library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.std_logic_arith.all;

entity top is
end entity top;

architecture arch of top is
signal s1 : std_logic;
begin
process(s1)
begin
report "value at time "&time'image(now)& " "&boolean'image(falling_edge(s1));
end process;
process
begin
s1 <= '1';
wait for 1ns;
s1 <= '0';
wait for 1ns;
s1 <= '1';
wait for 1ns;
s1 <= '0';
wait for 1ns;
s1 <= '1';
wait for 1ns;
s1 <= '0';
wait for 1ns;
s1 <= '1';
wait for 1ns;
s1 <= '0';
wait for 1ns;
wait;
end process;
end;

and it's working fine.  One thing you can do is by replacing falling_edge with absolute name i.e

ieee.std_logic_1164.falling_edge

and see if it's working.  This will remove the confusion about if the function is mapped to any different package.

--dhiRAj

Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi again! I am really impressed by the speed at which you answer, and also that you have given many promising tips.

.. that being said, printing boolean'image(ieee.std_logic_1164.falling_edge(qqq)) gives the unexpected value.

I know that the falling_edge function usually works; also this test bench module works as expected in another project.

I sanitized the file a bit and removed the use of std_logic_arith. No effects.

If you have more ideas, I gladly try those as well, but even if you do not -- Thanks for everything so far!

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Summary of today's discussions for a casual reader:

- I have a problem: falling_edge returns false, despite of an event, and signal going from one to zero

- Calling ieee.std_logic_1164.falling_edge( signal name ) unexpectedly returns false, as well.

- Copying the code of falling_edge from Vivado/2014.4/data/vhdl/src/ieee/distributable/std_logic_1164.vhd into a local function results gives the expected result of true.

Vivado 2014.4, behavioral simulation. Problem repeats, but is not easy to reproduce from scratch.

0 Kudos