UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor spl1nk
Visitor

VIVADO 2018.2.1 ERROR: [USF-XSIM-11] Failed to open file to append

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to simulate a project, got the testbench set up, etc. However, when i try to simulate, I get the folowing error message:

"[USF-XSIM-11] Failed to open file to append (/$project_dir$/.sim/sim_1/behav/xsim/xsim.ini)"

I have not found anything that might hint at the problem or how to fix this. The design is a regular vhdl design, the only exception is the inclusion of a fifo_generator ip_core.

Does anybody know where this comes from, or how to resolve this?

Thank you in advance,

spl1nk

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor spl1nk
Visitor

Re: VIVADO 2018.2.1 ERROR: [USF-XSIM-11] Failed to open file to append

Jump to solution

I fixed the error myself.

For an unknown reason, 'Vivado/2018.2/data/xsim/xsim.ini' was write-protected, and when copied by Vivado into the project folder, this write-protection was kept. Removing the write-protection from the original error resolved the problem.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @spl1nk,

Can you please try resetting simulation, then run the simulation again and see if it helps.

0 Kudos
Visitor spl1nk
Visitor

Jump to solution

hey @shameera,

i tried to use the 'reset_simulation' command, right clicking and selecting 'Reset Behavioral simulation', as well as 'file delete -force xsim.ini', but to no effect. I also created a completely new project, with the same source files, and generated a new fifo_generator, but nothing happened. This is the output when I try to run the simulation again:

launch_simulation
INFO: [Vivado 12-5698] Checking validity of IPs in the design for the 'XSim' simulator...
INFO: [Vivado 12-5682] Launching behavioral simulation in '/home/debus/projects/PETA6_Readout/PETA6_Readout_Test/PETA6_Readout.sim/sim_1/behav/xsim'
INFO: [Vivado 12-4795] Using compiled simulation libraries for IPs
INFO: [SIM-utils-51] Simulation object is 'sim_1'
INFO: [USF-XSim-7] Finding pre-compiled libraries...
INFO: [USF-XSim-11] File '/opt/ISEfull/Vivado/2018.2/data/xsim/xsim.ini' copied to run dir:'/home/debus/projects/PETA6_Readout/PETA6_Readout_Test/PETA6_Readout.sim/sim_1/behav/xsim'
ERROR: [USF-XSim-11] Failed to open file to append (/home/debus/projects/PETA6_Readout/PETA6_Readout_Test/PETA6_Readout.sim/sim_1/behav/xsim/xsim.ini)
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'send_msg_id' failed due to earlier errors.

while executing
"send_msg_id USF-XSim-011 ERROR "Failed to open file to append ($file)\n""
    (procedure "usf_set_compiled_lib_dir" line 28)
    invoked from within
"usf_set_compiled_lib_dir"
    (procedure "usf_xsim_setup_simulation" line 43)
    invoked from within
"usf_xsim_setup_simulation"
    (procedure "tclapp::xilinx::xsim::setup" line 19)
    invoked from within
"tclapp::xilinx::xsim::setup { -simset sim_1 -mode behavioral -run_dir /home/debus/projects/PETA6_Readout/PETA6_Readout_Test/PETA6_Readout.sim/sim_1/be..."
ERROR: [Vivado 12-4473] Detected error while running simulation. Please correct the issue and retry this operation.
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'launch_simulation' failed due to earlier errors.

0 Kudos
Visitor spl1nk
Visitor

Jump to solution

I think i have made a little progress. "INFO: [USF-XSim-11] File '/opt/ISEfull/Vivado/2018.2/data/xsim/xsim.ini' copied to run dir:" seems to indicate that the xsim.ini file is always copied over from the installation directory. However, looking at it in my project folder, it seems to be write-protected. Removing the write-protection from the file in the project folder does not help, as it is always written over with the write-protected file from the installation-directory. I do not know exactly why this is write-protected, but maybe removing that would help. Is this advisable, or would i break something if i try this?

Also, I managed to find a workaround. By removing the fifo-generator IP from the project, and instead using the simulation netlist as a file directly, seems to have removed the need for the xsim.ini file. With this, i can start the simulation as is.

0 Kudos
Visitor spl1nk
Visitor

Jump to solution

I fixed the error myself.

For an unknown reason, 'Vivado/2018.2/data/xsim/xsim.ini' was write-protected, and when copied by Vivado into the project folder, this write-protection was kept. Removing the write-protection from the original error resolved the problem.

0 Kudos