Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vavidor Simulator: unable to remove previous simulation file xsimk.exe

Jump to solution

I am running a simulation tb file and the simulation is successful in the beginning. However, when I try to re-launch the  simulation after some code modifications, the simulation is failed and the tcl tells that it unable to remove previous simulation file xsimk.exe.

I have viewed some similar questions from the forum and tried to use some methods mentioned in others post, such as check the task manager and delete the running process manually. However, the xsimk.exe does not exist in the task manager so I think it is already deleted. Otherwise, I also try to go the directory to delete the xsimk.exe in the folder. However, it suggests that I have no permission to change this exe applications. I have tried to use the administrator authorities to remove the file but it still fails due to some errors.    

My current solution is to create a new tb file with different file name, run the new simulation and this works. However, after re-launch the simulation, the problem still exists. Can anyone gives some suggestions?

Best Wishes  

pic.png
pic2.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Vavidor Simulator: unable to remove previous simulation file xsimk.exe

Jump to solution

Hi @jchenak

Check the system memory usage whether you have sufficient memory for vivado and try closing all other appliations if memory is less.Try creating new project in a separate directory and check if it solves the issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rohit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards
Rohit
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @jchenak

Check the system memory usage whether you have sufficient memory for vivado and try closing all other appliations if memory is less.Try creating new project in a separate directory and check if it solves the issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. I don't think the problem is related to the memory usage. This problem only exists when I run the testbench to test the toplevel module. When I try to run the other testbench to test its sub-modules, this problem seems not exists. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @jchenak

This error  typically occurs if the user has left a XSim simulation session running, makes modifications in the design/hdl and runs the simulation again (as you said you are doing). To reduce the risk of running into this error, user should close any open XSim sessions prior to launching any new simulation sessions.

As you also say that there is no xsimk.exe running in the task manager but when you manually try deleting it from folder, it complains about administrative permission issue which makes me believe that your old xsim sesssion is still open in the background.

Can you try to reboot the system and then create a new project in the separate directory, run the simulation and see if the error is gone?

Regards

Rohit

Regards
Rohit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

After rebooting the system, the xsim.exe is able to be deleted and the simulation successfully run. However, the problem still exists while I re-launch or re-run the simulation after some code modification even if I create a new project and import design file.  I think you are right that the previous simulation is still run in the background although I closed the current simulation but I have no idea how to remove the run without rebooting.

Best Wishes

Jiaji Chen 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I "too often" have the same problem and have wasted a lot of time having to reboot to work-around issue. Even when I close the sim window I get the same issue. Has Xilinx not fixed the problem? I am using Vivado 2017.2 installed July 15, 2017. I have a new PC from Dell, June, 2017 with 16GB Ram, 64 bit, Windows 10

0 Kudos