UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Verilog in Xilinx default library for a VHDL targeted simulation

Hello,

I've decided to use a third party simulator in lieu of the default Vivado simulator.  Our third party simulator license is VHDL only.  I soon discovered that there are quite a few Verilog files in the Xil_default library even though I set both the Vivado Target language and Simulator language settings to VHDL.  I'm not sure where the Verilog files came from but I'm guessing they were generated as part of the IP Catalog core creations.  So, Is there some way to get Vivado to actually adhere to the VHDL Simulator language and Target language settings?  Does Vivado throw VHDL into the mix when a user sets things to Verilog?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: Verilog in Xilinx default library for a VHDL targeted simulation

A lot of Xilinx IP from the IP catalog is Verilog only...    you really will need a mixed language license.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos

Hi @sprl111,

Maybe you can try using structural simulation model by write_vhdl and using this netlist of core for simulation. (Reference link). report_compile_order -used_in simulation should return the vhdl netlist.

Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

UG900, v2017.4, pg32, Table 2-6 illustrates the function of the simulator_language property.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug900-vivado-logic-simulation.pdf

As mentioned, quite a few Xilinx IPs deliver behavioral models in a single language.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I'm not understanding all of what you are saying here.

"Maybe you can try using structural simulation model by write_vhdl and using this netlist of core for simulation. "

I get this.  OK.  Sounds good.

"(Reference link). "

I looked at the link.  He's got to be kidding.  I have to do this for ever IP????!!!!  why even bother with a GUI?

report_compile_order -used_in simulation should return the vhdl netlist.

I have no idea what you are saying here.  This isn't even a sentence.

0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

What IPs are you using? Memories can easily be inferred from HDL code, and with a memory a single clock FIFO can easily be built. For more complicated IPs, usually it's just easier to build a simulation model at the interface than have to drive all the other interfaces to get the IP up and running (and is much faster to simulate too - assuming your model is correct!)

There are ways to work around this to break free of the Vivado Simulator.

0 Kudos