UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Vivado 2016.3 crashing

This has happened twice today.

I am performing functional simulation on portion of my design.  I'm not using a testbench, rather depositing constants and clocks on to signals.  The first time I do this everything seems fine, however if I reset the simulator and deposit the same values the simulator locks up and displays this message:

lockup.png

The only way to recover is to reboot.  If I kill the task (take out Vivado using the task manager, closing Vivado doesn't respond using the "X" in the corner screen), the next launch of the simulator yields additional errors.

more errors.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado 2016.3 crashing

can you open log file and read detail error message . you may try some other design . This may be issue with your current project
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @steve_av,

Can you tell what data type is SRC_RESULT_NEW?

Thanks,

Srimayee

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

This type of behavior from the simulator has been ongoing for a while now.  It does seem to be something in the project goes wacky, in this case rebooting fixed things but I've had to in other cases move all my sources to an new project.  Really a huge loss of productivity.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

this is an extremely wide bus; STD_LOGIC_VECTOR

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

the only work around that appears to work 100% of the time is to close the simulator and reopen it rather than doing a reset to time 0.  When I have more time I'll try and verify that this project is the culprit and can send it to you for analysis.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@steve_av

It could be an issue with environment/design. What is the OS you are using? Is simulation running fine on an example design?

If it is specific to your design, share the project archive.

Regards,

Sravanthi

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Yes, I believe it is design specific.  I've seen the simulator in all versions of Vivado behave not so nicely, sometimes crashing the simulator and anything to do with Vivado.  Running Windows 7 - 64bit .  16G RAM.  

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

check these links
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/No-connection-to-program-Zedboard-Vivado-2016-3-Ubuntu-16-04/td-p/729059
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/Vivado-2016-3-crashing/m-p/733770#M17266
https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/67580.html
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/design-hubs/dh0013-vivado-installation-and-licensing-hub.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@steve_av

Can you try in any other third party simulator to see if you are getting any valid error message which is causing crash in Vivado Simulator?

As it is a design specific issue, can you share the archive here?

Regards,

Sravanthi

0 Kudos