UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Vivado 2017.1 and Modelsim PE Student 10.4a - error accessing modelsim.ini

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

Vivado 2017.1 and Modelsim PE Student 10.4a - error accessing modelsim.ini

Hi all,

I compiled the simulation libraries as described here (p.16) without errors but some warnings (maybe because I compiled a second time and there already were existing compiled libraries). But at the end, I get this error:

boost::filesystem::copy_file: Zugriff verweigert: "modelsim.ini", "C:\Modeltech_pe_edu_10.4a/modelsim.ini"

which means access is denied or not possible for some reason.

modelsim_error.png

I am wondering about the syntax because there is a slash and a backslash. However, when I paste this exact path to the windows explorer, the modelsim.ini will open (meaning the path is correct and does work for the explorer).

Running Vivado as admin shows the same error.

This is how I compiled the simulation libraries:

vivado_compile_simlib.png

I also tried it with only "Compile Xilinx IP" checked, same error.

Ignoring this error I tried to run the simulation, but again I see the error accessing modelsim.ini

# do {limiter_tb_compile.do}
# ** Error: Model Technology ModelSim PE vmap 10.4a Lib Mapping Utility 2015.03 Apr  7 2015
# vmap xbip_utils_v3_0_7 msim/xbip_utils_v3_0_7
# ** Error: (vmap-20) Cannot access for writing file "modelsim.ini".
#
# Permission denied. (errno = EACCES)
# ** Warning: modelsim.ini and default modelsim.ini are the same file
# Error in macro ./limiter_tb_compile.do line 26
# Model Technology ModelSim PE vmap 10.4a Lib Mapping Utility 2015.03 Apr  7 2015
# vmap xbip_utils_v3_0_7 msim/xbip_utils_v3_0_7
# ** Error: (vmap-20) Cannot access for writing file "modelsim.ini".

(...)

So, am I doing something wrong or is Vivado 2017.1 simply not compatible to Modelsim PE student 10.4a?

Do you need any more information/logs?

If this topic is already discussed please point me to the thread.

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado 2017.1 and Modelsim PE Student 10.4a - error accessing modelsim.ini

So it is caused by incompatible Modelsim versions. The PE Student 10.4a has some trouble compiling encrypted secureip sources.

###### C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.1\data\secureip\fe\fe_001.svp(149): in protected region.
** Error: (vlog-13069) C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.1\data\secureip\fe\fe_001.svp(149): syntax error in protected region.

Upgrading to compatible Modelsim version is not supposed to introduce these errors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hi @jesterhead15

Can you try with compatible version modelsim 10.5c with Vivado 2017.1 and let us know if you facing any problem. Please refer the below link,page 26:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_1/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

Also simulator executable path has to be set as below:

/tools/gensys/modelsim/10.5c/bin

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rohit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visitor

Thanks, but I have only access to the student version, and the current release is unfortunately 10.4a.

Concerning the path: There is no such folder called "bin" in the modelsim installation path. The executable modelsim.exe is in the folder /win32pe_edu.

Hi @jesterhead15,

Can you please try running the below TCL command in vivado TCL console:

compile_simlib -force -language all -dir {<compile_library_location>} -simulator modelsim -simulator_exec_path {<simulation_installation_path>}  -32bit  -verbose -library all -family all

The Compiled library location specifies the directory path for saving the compiled library results. By default,  the libraries are saved in the <project>/<project>.cache/compile_simlib directory in Project mode. Can you please try using a specified path to the directory to save the libraries.

The Simulator executable path specifies the directory to locate the simulator executable. Hence, please specify the executable path and then run compile. If this does not help then can you please share the compile_simlib.log file.

modelsim.JPG

Regards,

Sravanthi B

Xilinx Employee

It looks you specified "Compiled library location" to where Modelsim is installed. This is the directory where the default modelsim.ini resides in. compile_simlib will copy the default modelsim.ini to the compiled library location and edit the file to append pre-compiled libraries. In your case, it failed due to permission denied.

You need to change the target "Compiled library location".

Visitor

@graces I tried to compile the simulation libraries to a folder C:\Xilinx\compile_simlib_ModelSim. Using the same settings I get the error:

ERROR: [Vivado 12-3591] compile_simlib failed to compile for modelsim with 137 errors.
compile_simlib: Time (s): cpu = 00:01:17 ; elapsed = 00:17:51 . Memory (MB): peak = 1557.387 ; gain = 227.930
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'compile_simlib' failed due to earlier errors.

@bandi Running Vivado as admin I can run

compile_simlib -force -language all -dir {C:\Xilinx\compile_simlib_ModelSim} -simulator modelsim -simulator_exec_path {C:\Modeltech_pe_edu_10.4a\win32pe_edu}  -32bit  -verbose -library all -family all

but it throws the same error:

ERROR: [Vivado 12-3591] compile_simlib failed to compile for modelsim with 137 errors.
compile_simlib: Time (s): cpu = 00:01:52 ; elapsed = 00:18:32 . Memory (MB): peak = 1175.219 ; gain = 269.195
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'compile_simlib' failed due to earlier errors.

Where can I find the log file? Or do you mean the TCL Console output?

Xilinx Employee

compile_simlib.log is located at where you launch compile_simlib command.

If you run the command via GUI wizard, it's generated in the current directory. Type "pwd" in Tcl console to view the location.

Visitor

Alright, here is the file (it was located at C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado).

Xilinx Employee

So it is caused by incompatible Modelsim versions. The PE Student 10.4a has some trouble compiling encrypted secureip sources.

###### C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.1\data\secureip\fe\fe_001.svp(149): in protected region.
** Error: (vlog-13069) C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.1\data\secureip\fe\fe_001.svp(149): syntax error in protected region.

Upgrading to compatible Modelsim version is not supposed to introduce these errors.

Visitor

Thanks for finding the root cause, but unfortunately - as a student - I have only access to Modelsim PE Student Edition 10.4a which is the current student edition release.

May there be any other option to simulate code that includes Xilinx IP and the VHDL 2008 package (I use sixed signals)?