UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer cesar_kwan
Observer

Vivado 2017.2 Modelsim verification License

We try to migrate a Zynq project from Vivado 2016.2 to 2017.2.

No problem in generating the Modelsim simulation compile script and it was compiled successfully with Modelsim PE 10.6 .

When the test-bench was launched, the following error appeared

# ** Error: (vsim-1) Unable to checkout verification license - testbench generation feature (randomize, randcase, randsequence, covergroup) is only supported with QuestaSim.

I searched the word "randomize" in the bd tree and I found it in two files.

\bd\project_1.srcs\sources_1\bd\processor\ipshared\1d61\hdl\processing_system7_vip_v1_0_vl_rfs.sv (2 hits)
    Line 5726:       assert(tr.randomize());
    Line 5792:        assert(tw.randomize());

\bd\project_1.srcs\sources_1\bd\processor\ipshared\6eb1\hdl\axi_vip_v1_0_vl_rfs.sv (36 hits)
    Line 4082:     Function: post_randomize
    Line 4085:   function void post_randomize();
    Line 4197:                     AXI_CONT_XFER_SINGLE_HEADADJ_FAIL: assert(rnd_num.randomize() with {
    Line 4208:                       AXI_CONT_XFER_SINGLE_TAILADJ_FAIL: assert(rnd_num.randomize() with {
    Line 4222:                   AXI_CONT_XFER_SINGLE_NULL_STRBADJ_FAIL: assert(rnd_num.randomize() with

The axi vip is supposed to replace the BFM but is there anyway to avoid this error without the Questa upgrade?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Vivado 2017.2 Modelsim verification License

Hi @cesar_kwan,

No there is no way to avoid this error with the BFM. You need to replace the BFM with the AXI VIP.

The reason why it works with QuestaSim is because the BFM is an IP from Mentor. But it is no longer working in Vivado simulator since 2017.1. This is the reason why the VIP has been created by Xilinx.

Kind Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer cesar_kwan
Observer

Hi Florentw,

I tried Vivado simulatior under 2017.2 using the example design without problem.

The same example design with simulation exported to ModelSim PE/DE failed in run time with the error message listed  in my first post.

Modelsim license is not sufficient to run the VIP created by Xilinx Vivado 2017.2. According to the ModelSim PE error message, only QuestaSim has the capability to handle that.

The question is whether Xilinx can avoid using simulation features that are not supported by ModelSim PE/DE?

Regards,

Cesar

0 Kudos

Hi @cesar_kwan,

The question is whether Xilinx can avoid using simulation features that are not supported by ModelSim PE/DE?

Or the question could be why Questa sim supports it while not Modelsim (they are both from Mentor). I guess this is only a feature which will be added later to Modelsim

Florent
0 Kudos
Observer cesar_kwan
Observer

Questa costs much more than ModelSim DE/PE.You don't want to spend money to upgrade it if not necessary.

According to  UG973 (v2017.2) June 22, 2017, Table 2-2, Mentor Graphic ModelSim SE/DE/PE are supported.

0 Kudos

Hi @cesar_kwan,

Yes and the VIP P267 mentions: "4. To take advantage of the full features of this IP, it requires simulators supporting advanced simulation capabilities"

VIP.JPG

To get the full features of the VIP you need a simulator which can support the most of the features of systemVerilog.

You should be able to use the VIP as protocol checker but not to generate AXI interfaces communications.

Regards,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos
Observer cesar_kwan
Observer

Please follow the logic of a customer:

Which simulators have the support of the advanced simulation capabilities ?

The document says "for supported simulator see the Xilinx Design Tools. Release Notes Guide" .

Release notes say modelsim PE and DE are supported.

I checked the generated Verilog code.  The designer had already added a switch (XIL_DO_NOT_USE_ADV_RANDOMIZATION) to  turn off the unsupported features but he/she has not completed the job.

I hope to see the PE/DE support of VIP in the next Vivado release!

0 Kudos
Observer florinb
Observer

I face the same error with AXI VIP generated by Vivado 2017.3 . Interesting, Vivado xSim loads the IP but ignores the advanced verification statements. Is there a way to enable the "ignore" for ModelSim as well?

0 Kudos