cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tschesnok
Observer
Observer

Vivado 2020: Simulation (behavioral) can't find .v file... corrupts file name every 4-5 times I restart Sim.

Use case:

I have a verilog module and a corresponding TB module.. in the same file.

I make the TB the top level. Click on Simulation (behavioral) and it starts up and I get my waveforms.

I then make an edit to the file.. save via the file save icon.. and hit reload on the simulation... works most times..

But every 4-5 times I get an error when restarting the sim: "can't find file" pointing to my verilog file but with the path repeated twice: i.e. "path/filename.v/path/filename.v" which of course it can't find.

Only way to solve the problem seems to be to delete the .sim directory.. then all works again.. till the next time.

Am I the only one.. or is this common? Is there an easy fix?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ansarimo
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @tschesnok 

Which Vivado version are you referring to 2020.1 or 2020.2?

I created a simple test-case with both DUT and TB in the same file in 2020.2 and wasn't able to reproduce the issue you mentioned, I  suspect this how your hierarchy looks like as shown in the snap below:

ansarimo_0-1611231106190.png

I even edited it multiple times but unfortunately wasn't able to reproduce it, if possible then share your test-case with all the steps to reproduce the issue.

Also, on which OS Vivado is installed?

Thanks and Regards,

Ansari Hunen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as a solution.

0 Kudos
tschesnok
Observer
Observer

Running 2020.2 (64bit) on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS with 32 GB ram/6 cores/12 threads.

I have now been on at least a 20 edit run without problems.. so perhaps it is resolved? I can live with it since the remedy is very simple (delete the folder).
I wish I could help further since this really seems like a bug/edge case. I will circle back if I figure out more or if it happens again. In my mind I imagined it to be a timing issue.. where I clicked "rerun" on the simulator before everything updated after saving the file.. I have been going slower now.

ansarimo
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @tschesnok 

Good to know you managed to pass this issue.

Please close this thread by accepting it as a solution so that it can help other users too.

Thanks and Regards,

Ansari Hunen

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as a solution.

0 Kudos