cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivado 2021.1: VHDL Keyword 'context' identified as syntax error while importing context

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

'context' is a keyword added with VHDL-2008. I need to import the osvvm context to a VHDL file used for simulation.

When I include this keyword into my VHDL file, Vivado issues a syntax error: [HDL 9-806] Syntax error near "context".

In this case I just use Vivado 2021.1 as a file manager, as I'm using a third-party simulator (Questa Sim). This file is not being used in Synthesis, as it is a part of a testbench.

Questa has support for this keyword and it does not have any issue with the keyword that I used. The file is being compiled without any warning.

My file looks like this in the relevant part:

library osvvm;                      -- Utility Library
context osvvm.OsvvmContext;

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong here?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
seamusbleu
Voyager
Voyager

Did you flag the file you imported as VHDL-2008?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and accept as Solution if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

4 Replies
seamusbleu
Voyager
Voyager

Did you flag the file you imported as VHDL-2008?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and accept as Solution if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

Thanks, that solved the syntax error.

Just in case someone needs the TCL command:

set_property FILE_TYPE {VHDL 2008} [get_files <filename>]

Best regards,

dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@jperezfraunhofer ,

regarding context VHDL2008 support, this might be useful. Read all the thread replies....

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/VHDL-2008-Context-Support/td-p/970774

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem
Asking for solutions to problems via PM will be ignored.

0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

@jperezfraunhofer 

XSIM (vivado's simulator) has very poor VHDL 2008 support, even in 2021.  OSVVM is not going to work in XSIM. Annoyingly the synthesis support of 2008 is much better

The free and open source GHDL does have good 2008 support and will run OSVVM. http://ghdl.free.fr/