UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Vivado Simulation Ignores Compile Order

I'm running Vivado 2017.3 simulator.     After a few compilation-edit cycles, the tool goes into a mode where it can't find a particular definition that is in my project package file.       I can see from the info messages that the tool is ignoring the Compile Order.   It is compiling the file that calls the function BEFORE the file that declares the function.    Therefore it is falsely claiming the function is not declared.    How do I get the tool working again?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vivado Simulation Ignores Compile Order

I suspect that Vivado gets its internal databases corrupt.   Is there some magic tcl command to restore a project to a pristine state?

0 Kudos

Hi @erice,

To reset the project you can try using the reset_project TCL command from vivado tcl console this will reset the current project to its starting condition, with source and constraint files, by cleaning out the various output files created during synthesis, simulation, implementation, and write_bitstream. Also resets the state of the project to the start of the design flow.

Compile order view is automatically updated or can be manually defined depending on the setting of the Hierarchy Update command. For more information on hierarchy update please refer the below user guide page#59:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug893-vivado-ide.pdf 

Alternatively, you can examine the compile order using report_compile_order Tcl command.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Sravanthi B

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for pointing out "reset_project".     However, it doesn't work for me.  

I am doing "Run Behavioral Simulation".    I get the error

ERROR: [VRFC 10-149] 'axi_master_burst' is not compiled in library axi_master_burst_v2_0_7 [D:/sw/Bernoulli/Bernoulli_FPGA/Trunk/repository/video_engine/Bernoulli_Video.vhd:22]

Although axi_master_burst IS in the correct library, and I get the little green rectangle in the source file window when I open both axi_master_burst.vhd and Bernoulli_Video.vhd source files (and all the other source files, too).  

I know that if I create a brand new project and add all my source files to it, the simulate step works correctly.     So there is still something corrupt in the project that reset_project does not clean out.

0 Kudos

Hi @erice,

Can you please share the archived project to check at our end. Also. please check and verify from the source properties window if the axi_master_burst.vhd is in the axi_master_burst_v2_0_7  library.

Can you please check if the below post helps? 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Entry/Vivado-do-not-update-hierarcies/td-p/652399

Thanks & Regards,

Sravanthi B

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Yes axi_master_burst.vhd is in the axi_master_burst_v2_0_7  library.

Plus when I open the error file in the source window, I get the little green rectangle indicate there is no errors found.   If the tool can't find an entity in a library, it flags the line in red and puts a red rectangle in the upper right corner.   I don't see the red underline and I do get the green rectangle.    So when you open the source file, the tool finds the entity in the library.   But when you run the simulation, it gives the error of the missing entity.

0 Kudos

Hi @erice,

Can you please share a test case to check this at our end.

Thanks & Regards,

Sravanthi B

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B

0 Kudos