cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnD

Vivado Simulation - VHDL assert report severity triangles

Jump to solution

When using Vivado simulator, is there a way to show the point in time when a VHDL assert - report - severity statement occurred?

They used to have nice coloured triangles on Modelsim at the top of the waveform screen. Very handy for relating error text coming out of the CLI log to the logic waveforms that caused it

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
miti
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I understand this is a good feature to have within a simulator. Created change request for this enhancement for future Vivado release.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
miti
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @JohnD ,

Vivado simulator reports the assert severity in logs, but in waveform it will not show up.

JohnD

Hi miti,

OK, that's a shame, I liked the Modelsim assert triangles so much, that I worked with Modelsim to get them put back some years ago when they got broken and had disappeared. It is really useful to be able to match assertion statements in the log to a marker on the waveform display screen, especially if it is colour-coded to show where errors and warnings occurred. If they are not available on Vivado sim, I guess it is easy to code a message change indicator in a testbench:

I could wrap the assert function in a custom assert procedure containing 3 counters (note, warning and error counts). then I could display these counters prominently at the top of the waveform window where the assert triangles used to be, and colour-code them green, yellow and red. Any transition indicates the position of a new message. Job done

0 Kudos
miti
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I understand this is a good feature to have within a simulator. Created change request for this enhancement for future Vivado release.

View solution in original post

JohnD

That is great miti, thanks

Will that feature be turned on automatically when it arrives, or will I have to alter some hidden settings file?

(I think a lot of people don't know about this feature in its original guise because it was default-off for many years - everyone who saw it enabled on my screen said 'that's neat, how did you get that to appear, then it got broken and you could not even turn it on')

0 Kudos